Day 6-Tel Aviv and Israeli Independence


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Tel Aviv District » Tel Aviv
February 17th 2009
Published: February 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After a long night yesterday and a long day today, we are tired. Our group has definitely bonded and found a common groove after days of travel including having our bus stranded in the rain yesterday after being blocked on a narrow road because of a accident between 2 other buses. The kids have also forged bonds and they are going off on their own as a group.

Today we had a museum marathon in Tel Aviv with Israeli Independence being the common theme. The morning was at a kibbutz that hid an underground bullet factory during the British Mandate. After a brief stop in Jaffa for a beautiful ocean view and a snack, we headed to Tel Aviv and Independence Hall.

We had wonderful guides in booth museums that helped us see the importance and relevance of the creation of the State of Israel to us and the world. At Independence Hall we sat in the room where Independence was declared by David Ben Gurion. Our guide was a mother of 3 close in age to all the parents in the room. She expressed how difficult it was to send her children into the Defense Force, but how necessary it is to protect everything that Israel stands for. She told us that we were the best ambassadors for Israel in the world. She ended by impressing on us that Israel was our home too. There wasn't a dry eye in the house.

We had one more museum on the schedule and we didn't think we would make it. Our expectations (and attention spans) were low where we got to the Palmach Museum. But it turned out to be a great multi-media experience showing the WWII years thru the end of the War of Indepence in 1949. Everyone, including the kids, got caught up as the presentation showed the experience thru the eyes of one combat group. It really was a miracle how Israel was formed and we learned it shouldn't be taken for granted.

We wrapped up the evening with a group dinner at a Yemenite restaurante that was a feast. This day wasn't what we were expecting, but it deepened our connection to Israel.

- Caroline & Jeff


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



18th February 2009

A Bit Tired But Still Inspired!
Well, Richard and I had to take the day off from touring due to hisrecently diagnosed bronchitis. I'm adding to day six which we were able to do but today day 7 we're resting in the hotel and taking short walks in the surrounding areas of Jerusalem. But, I have to say that even just the simplicity of walking around the block or having a lunch in a nearby cafe is an adventure for us. Trying new foods(shawarma is a favorite of richards--chicken cut in small pieces inside a pita) or people watching in this new and Holy Land inspires us. Yesterday the three museums we visited amazed us too. I would never have thought that museums would keep the groups' interest as they did. The bullet factory was inspiring because the lengths that the young Haganah solduirs went to....just took our breath away! We felt as if we were actually hearing Ben Gurion's address when we went to the Independance Hall of Fame. The Palmach museum was an exhibit that really did make us feel a part of the underground army as Israel was on her way to becoming a state...and in her earliest years. Even our walk through Tel Aviv though a bit rainy in the open air market of Nachalat Binyamin was colorful and exciting...the smells and crafts bright with color...Last nights Yemenite dinner was delicious and we could really feel the continued closeness of our group as the kids and grown-ups gathered around our tables talking loudly and trying all sorts of new foods. My day ended with a visit with the wonderful and sensitive Australian doctor at the hotel and a visit to the nearby pharmacy at almost midnight. But, even in the wee hours at the pharmacy I was treated by the pharmacist with kindness. It's a wonderful trip so far...and even this down time feels like an adventure here in the Holy Land!!
28th February 2009

Tears of pride today
This was a day of awe and pride for how our chalutzim, the pioneers of Israel, created, visioned and realized the State of Israel. All three exhibits were riveting and helped us taste the sweat and hard work that helped create this modern miracle. On a personal note I'll be following up with our tour guide at Independence Hall with more info on 2 of our own who were among the people who were there for the Declaration. Tali told us that they don't have the invitiation list of the 350 people who were privately invited to sit in that room that day. Only a few of the chairs are marked with names. Yael's father was there as a photojournalist and David Jordan was one of the journalists covering the moment. How exciting to help connect the dots of history!- Rica

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0225s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb