Jesus Ministry in Galilee


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » North District » Tiberias
September 27th 2008
Published: September 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Sea of Galilee is not a large lake. From most places on the shore, you can see all the way around it. But during our visit we observed a sudden storm descend on the lake, whipping the placid water into angry whitecaps. We imagined a storm so sudden and violent that it could swamp a small fishing boat. It was on such an occasion that Jesus commanded the wind to be quiet. Another time he walked across the surface of the water to reach his disciples. They were headed for the village of Geneseret, so our boat is floating about where this miracle occurred. To the left is Migdal, former home of Mary Magdalene.

There are a couple of tricks to being able to walk on water. One is to allow the temperature of the water to drop below 32 degrees Farenheit for about a week. I don't know the other one.

The second picture, which to the untrained eye probably looks much like the first, has many interesting details. The wooded area in the center of the picture is the probable site of the Sermon on the Mount. Of course, there is a church there now. At the foot of the hill is where Jesus once fed several thousand people with only a few loaves and fishes (marked with another church), and the beach to the left is where the resurrected Jesus appeared to Peter, admonishing him to "feed my little sheep" (marked by yet another church).

Our final stop in Galilee was the baptismal site. While the actual site was probably further south, this site is much closer to the gift shops. They have little plastic bottles for sale, which you can fill with "holy water", useful for splashing on yourself whenever you feel sinful, or the presence of vampires, I suppose.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Jordan RiverJordan River
Jordan River

More or less near where John baptized Jesus


28th September 2008

Amazing
Wow- what an amazing place you chose to visit! Thank you for sharing your story and pictures. I bet it feels incredible to have reached the place on Earth that the miraculous stories of Jesus have been documented in the Bible. Does it seem strange that it is an actual place that you can go?

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 48; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb