Tsfat


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » North District » Safed
June 13th 2008
Published: June 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today was our first full day in Israel. We both slept well, however Carly's cot folded in half on her when she went to lie down to sleep. Unfortunately both of her roommates were already sleeping when she went to bed and couldn't fix the bed. She tried but to no avail. The next day Derek attempted but to no avail. By the end of the day we had a new cot put in the room. Hopefully she will have a more peaceful sleep tonight. We woke up early to an amazing extravagant breakfast. Derek's favorite breakfast items were the pickles and chocolate pudding (not together though). Carly's favorite was the smoked white fish and cheese.

We all got onto the bus and headed twords Tsfat. We were soaking in the mountainous scenery from the lower to the upper Galilee. We began our adventure in Tsfat by visiting with Abraham Lowenthall, a kabbalistic artist, whose artwork reflects certain teachings in the Kabbalah. For example one of his painting was a Jewish quote in a cyclical pattern saying "there is none other than G-d". Others depicted the 3 sounds of the shofar sounded 100 times. His talk was definately geared twords the young, but had interesting thoughts to convey. Derek went to the Ari's mikveh and dunked three times hoping for healthy babies, since it is said that that mikveh guarantees fertility. The mikveh was very cold and a cleansing expereince both physically and metaphysically. He felt crisp and frefreshed after having finished and also convinced another kid to go in who was rather skeptical of the whole experience. After this kid went in he admitted to feeling refreshed. He also visited his grave. Women aren't allowed in this mikveh, and are technically not required to visit them until they are married, so Lisa and I visited the many artists galleries that line the steets. The artwork is very lively and colourful. Lisa commented that it is very different than the type of artwork she was used to seeing in the Met for example. We ate shwarma for lunch, fries in and all, and had just enough time to purchace beer before all the stores closed up for shabbat. The bus ride back was hot and stuffy despite the air being set to to maximum. On the bus back Derek and I were having an interesting discussion with Rabbi Shmuel. A young Rabbi, maybe in his mid-thirties. He too was an education major at John's Hopkins University. We are now relaxing before we have to get ready for Shabbat. So for now...Shabbat Shalom!


Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.095s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb