Last day in Jerusalem


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Jerusalem District » Jerusalem
November 17th 2009
Published: November 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our final full day in Jerusalem started, as usual, with breakfast. Afterwards, we walked toward the Zion Gate to the Old City and the Dormition Church. This is a beautiful building that legend says was the site of the Last Supper, and Jesus washing the feet of his disciples. There is even a small well of “holy water” that was from the spring from which Jesus got the water to wash his followers’ feet. The chapels are covered with very beautiful mosaics. There were many religious groups who were clearly moved by the experience of being there. . . loudly praying, singing, etc. It was, generally, chaotic. We then walked across the Jewish Quarter to the Western Wall. Though we had previously been here, this is the entrance to the Temple Mount, which had not yet seen. Once on top, we were “pitched” by a Muslim guide who we paid a few scheckels to show us around. Again, it was a moving experience to be at the holiest site to Judaism and the third holiest site to Islam. As the weather was brewing up a rainstorm, we made our way back to the Jaffa Gate first to get stamps for our postcards, and secondly to another cappuccino out of the rain. We have found that cappuccino is quite popular here, especially with the tourists. . . at least the American ones. Following a brief respite at the hotel, we then toured the Menachem Begin Centre. Mr. Begin was a former prime minister of Israel, and this museum to his memory was very well done, and informative. We then had our major meal of the day (lasagna and fettucine), after which we made our way back to the hotel to relax, repack, etc. in preparation for our trip to Jordan tomorrow morning.

As an aside, Luna is having a fabulous trip, and has been a good travelling companion. She eats little, and complains even less. Her expenditures are well within limits and serve as a good example for the other travelers.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb