Road to Jerusalem


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Jerusalem District » Jerusalem
August 17th 2007
Published: August 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today we made our pilgrimage to Jerusalem where we stopped first in Banias Springs, an oasis in the Golan. We enjoyed a 90 minute hike through a Garden of Eden of fresh fruit trees (figs, grapes, pomegranate, berries, etc…). Our destination was the largest waterfall in Israel (which isn’t saying much, but it still was beautiful).

We then started driving our motorized camel (i.e., tour bus) south across the desert. It was incredible to see the landscape change dramatically into a barren dessert, with sand dunes as far as we could see. The only evidence of life was the occasion camel grazing on the sparse shrubs. Much of road ran just a few yards away from the Israel/Jordan border. By the way, if you ever happen to be on Rt 90 in the Sea of Galelee, stop by “The Oasis Diner”, a rest stop with the best Pecan pie this side of the Jordan river.

As we approached Jerusalem we came upon several Bedouin settlements, some of which were semi-permanent shanty-towns. Even closer, we passed many Palestinian villages in the West Bank. Our first view of Jerusalem was from a scenic overlook, where we stated the Shehekianu prayer. This was a powerful moment, where we all felt connected to this land, the people, and our faith.

This power was reinforced as we walked through the ancient alleyways of the old city at sundown and came upon the western wall, the holiest site in Judaism. Thousands of Jews, mostly Orthodox dressed in their Shabbat finest all praying, singing, and crying filled the yard in front of the wall. Our emotions peaked as we maneuvered our way through the throngs of people and gentled touched the wall. Then we did as all Jews do in this situation - we ate dinner.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb