Travel Day June 5


Advertisement
Published: June 6th 2023
Edit Blog Post

June 5
The journey began a little after 6 AM this morning. Our goal was to head out to the Detroit airport to catch our flight to Altanta no later than 7:30 am. Goal achieved!
Surprising for a June Monday morning, there was relatively no traffic. We took our time and got the airport about 8:30 where our prepaid parking spot awaited us. In less than 15 minutes we were whisked off to the Delta terminal. There was no line at TSA and we breezed through in less than 10 minutes.
Since we had a little more than an hour to kill, we went to the Delta Sky Club for a hot breakfast, steaming cappuchino and a very cold mimosa!
Our flight boarded right on time and we took off for the 90 minute flight to Altanta. No issues at all; we arrived in terminal B and took the airport train to terminal E. There was a little over an hour before the flight so Cathy had an $11.00 Arbys and I enjoyed a $18.00 ham sandwich. Yup, inflation has certainly hit the airport food court.
We arrived to our gate E-14 and cued to board. First mistake.
The captain of our flight took to the podium to announce that one of the 6 onboard computers was malfunctioning. Although the highly computerized aircraft needed 1 computer to fly safely, air safety folks want all 6 working before take-off. He told us that the delay would be an hour or so!
Well, we all setteled in for the wait. While waiting, Cathy and I struck up a conversation with a very nice defense consultant who had been to Tel Aviv 83 times! He gave us some excellent advice on two restaurants in Tel Aviv as well as a must do, Under the Wailing Wall Tunnel Tour.
The hour delay turned out to be 25 minutes. We boarded relatively quickly. I was able to book the suggested Tour while on the tarmac, so Cathy and I have our first extra tour booked.
We were across the aisle from each other, which was the only way we both could get aisle seats. Here we settled in for the TWELVE hour flight! Hopefully it will be boring, unlike other flights we have been on that required my services as an EMT!
PART 2
The flight landed without a hitch! No medical issues, no bumps and 6 flawless computers set us down safely in Tel Aviv.
In case you have never had a long flight, there are several things you can do to prepare your mind and body for the stress. I find it easier to go EAST and much harder to go WEST.
Flying east, you should try to book an overnight flight. This allows you to find a way during the day to do things to get you tired so sleeping on the flight is easier. Also, if you fly east, you are losing time. We boarded our flight at 3 PM EST, it was already 10 PM in Tel Aviv....bed time. The flight arrived at 10 AM in Tel Aviv just about the time you would be ready for your day at home. By trying to get some sleep on the plane, you quickly acclimate to local time and the flight is shorter when yu sleep for most of it!
Most inexperienced travelers read books, play games, watch movies, or just fidget for hours on end. For these folks the flight is endless, stressful, and they are exhausted for their first day in their new city.
I prepare myself by staying away from the free alcohol. It is dehydrating and the buzz may give you a headache, making sleep impossible.
Wear loose fitting clothes. They feel like PJ's and help the mind think of sleep. I carry eye shades and ear plugs to kill the light and eliminate noise distractions. Stay away from caffeine all day - no need to be energized. Eat light. The food on the plane is terrible anyway so you are not missing anything.
One very important health and safety issue is hydration. Some people, especially women, do not want to drink water during the flight to reduce the need for restroom stops. Well, in the plane the air is dry and you run the risk of dehydration. I have treated several women on long flights for dehydration, so please do drink water.
I stay away from sugar, especially candy or chocolates until the very end of the flight where it acts as a pick up to get your motor running for the long day ahead.
So there you have it, my flight rules for a great long flight and the begining of another adventure!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0331s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb