Ancient Ur


Advertisement
Iraq's flag
Middle East » Iraq
June 30th 2007
Published: June 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The ZigguratThe ZigguratThe Ziggurat

The pyramid like structure is completely full of earth, it used to house a small temple on the top section.
I have just reached my official halfway point on my tour, unless they extend me, and I must say that the time has been flying, and soon I should be gazing upon the green fields of England. But until then, let me share more of my good times here.

Yesterday I went to visit the ancient Sumerian and Babylonian city of Ur which is right outside our location. The site of the Ziggurat is incredible, over 4000 years old, and still standing as majestic as when the Sumerian kings worshipped on top of its layers. Of course, the top portion is gone over the centuries, but the main structure is still impressive.
This is not the first time I have been priviledged to visit this ancient site, in fact, I had been here 4 years ago and spent many days inside the ancient compound, exploring and studying it, hopefully for when I complete a Masters degree in Archaeology.

After the Ziggurat, you walk past several ancient sites within the city; the arched temple, the royal palace, and the most intriguing structures, the roayl tombs. It was near the intact tombs that Sir Leonard Wooley discovered the famed treasure
The Arched Temple of E-dub-lal-mahThe Arched Temple of E-dub-lal-mahThe Arched Temple of E-dub-lal-mah

Behind Fletch is what could possibly be the oldest arch in history.
of Ur in the 1920's. The gold crown, the bull head harp, and many more artifacts. To this day, you can still trace the main areas of those explorations, as you gaze upon the vast mounds of dirt and pottery shreds that litter the entire complex.

As one descends into the ancient tombs, you can imagine the wooden coffin layed out on the mound in the back of the burial chamber, with the various pots and crates containing the goods the king needed for the afterlife. Even his guards, serfs and concubines!

Well, for more information on this site, you can visit the British Museum, if you get to be in London, otherwise, pray for peace so you to can come visit this beautiful, troubled yet enchanting land.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The NecropolisThe Necropolis
The Necropolis

This is a view of the best preserved part of the necropolis, the tombs of the Third Dynasty of Ur.
The Necropolis IIThe Necropolis II
The Necropolis II

Here is a view of the inner wall that surrounded the citadel and the low lying area is where Wooley discovered the tombs of Queen Pu-abi and the treasure of Ur. These tombs dated to the first dynasty and were less durable.
View of the citadelView of the citadel
View of the citadel

The great Ziggurat is visible from behind the royal palace. in between is the arched temple.
House of AbrahamHouse of Abraham
House of Abraham

Both Christian and Muslim scholars claim that Ur was the birthplace of the Prophet Abraham. This reconstructed house was identied as it by the Iraqi archaeologists.
Tomb of King ShulgiTomb of King Shulgi
Tomb of King Shulgi

This is the stairwell that leads down to the burial chamber of King Shulgi. He was the second ruler of the Ur III dynasty and ruled the longest of all the third's kings.


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb