A day out to mount Damavand area and its natural poppy fields


Advertisement
Iran's flag
Middle East » Iran
June 15th 2014
Published: June 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

A day to mount Damavand area and its natural poppy fields



Lar National Park (around 30,000 hectares) is a protected area on the foot of Mount Damavand. It takes around 2 hours to go there from Tehran. Mount Damavand is a potentially active volcano and the highest peak in Iran (5671m), and has a special place in Persian mythology and folklore.

Damavand is the symbol of Iranian resistance against despotism and foreign rule in Persian poetry and literature.

S48=In Zoroastrian texts and mythology, the three-headed dragon Azi-Dahak was chained within Mount Damavand, there to remain until the end of the world. In a later version of the same legend, the tyrant Zahhak was also chained in a cave somewhere in Mount Damavand after being defeated by Kaveh and Fereydoon. In Iran, each year the outskirts of Mount Damavand during late spring are covered with these beautiful flowers. It is a special species of poppy called Papaver bracteatum (Shaghayegh in Persian language) grows. If you pick a poppy the petals will wither in less than an hour!

These vivid red flowers are symbol of love in Persian literature. The black dot in the middle of the flower resembles a mark on a lover's heart, as his/her heart has been burnt and marked with love. One of the best major settlements for mountain climbers is located on this area (the south of the Damavand)



P.S. I have heard that there are many different medicine herbal in this area especially during summer time. when we went there, we could not see a local to ask about those therapeutic herbs we could see many Avishan (Thymus vulgaris) and we picked up alot. you can make a tea with it or use a dried one as spice in pizza and other foods.

P.P.S. You also see many Beekeepers during spring time and They sell different types of original honey from 10 euro per kilo to 30 euro.





Due to vicinity of Damavand Mountain and the Caspian Sea, this zone has a pleasant and cool climate which provides breathtaking views and beautiful landscapes for hiking & trekking in spring and summer. Mount Damavand has some thermal springs with therapeutic qualities. The most important of these hot springs are located in Abe Garm Larijan in Lar Valley. It took around 1 hours to go there from Lar valley. It's a small village and you can stay one night or more there while having private hot springs bath at home for around 30-40 euro. If you do not plan to rent a place for night and you wanna come back to Tehran, then there is a public hot spring called Shah-Abasi which is free and everyone can use it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.21s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb