Cyprus November 2009


Advertisement
Cyprus' flag
Middle East » Cyprus » Paphos
November 29th 2009
Published: November 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

PegeiaPegeiaPegeia

Our new home
Well, it’s been a couple of months since I have blogged, so I am trying to think of what needs mentioning to update everyone.

I suppose one of the key things to mention, is the continuing wonderful weather. There has been the odd spell of cooler times and we have seen some rain, but the average daytime temperature at the moment is about 22°C. Sitting in direct sunlight on the patio the temperature gets up to about 35°C. So we are still wearing shorts and T-shirts in the day time. The evenings are cooler and if you go out at night you really need jeans and a thicker top.

The locals are wearing thick coats and jumpers, which we find slightly amusing. I don’t doubt they have their thoughts about us as well.

My parents are coming to spend a couple of weeks with us over Christmas and New Year, so we are looking forward to seeing them, and have been advising of items that we need bringing over from “the home country“.

Pat has decided to return to UK to see her Mother for a week late in January, but I’m staying here.

Our big news, is that we have decided to move. The apartment has been a great place for us, but for various reasons it is time to move on.

The last few weeks have seen us contacting various letting agents in the area, and visiting a number of properties.

We came down to a shortlist of two and decided on a three bedroom villa with pool, in Pegeia, which is still in the Pafos district, but further west along the coast.

Pegeia, is a big sprawl of a place and sometimes referred to as “Little Britain”, because of the number of ex-pats living there. We are not moving there for that reason, and actually will be on a hill overlooking the main town. It was the house that made the choice for us.

Because of the state of the Cypriot economy and the decline of the Euro, it is a good time to be moving as rental prices have dropped quite a lot, so we are getting a lot for our money.

The worldwide economic crisis has hit Cyprus much later than a lot of other European countries, so up until recently they have been able to ignore it. That has now changed and Cyprus is now in recession.

The property market has plunged and the significant reduction in tourist numbers this summer hasn’t helped. These are two of the biggest sectors of Cypriot economy, so have a large knock on effect.

I think that although we are hearing of other European economies now improving, it will be a while before Cyprus is able to declare that all is well.

For sometime we have been promising ourselves a visit to the North of the Island - Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC) - and to make life easier a few weeks ago, we went on a coach tour, with some friends of ours. We had a very enjoyable day out, travelling from Kato Paphos, a short stop at Lefkara, then up through Nicosia, across the Green Line on to Bellapais monastery, then Kyrenia / Girne.

There was only a certain amount of time at the various places, but we certainly got to see a little of the place and get a general flavour.

You can take your car across, but there are issues of insurance, which make things a little complicated.
PegeiaPegeiaPegeia

View from the master bedroom

The walking group that we belong to, walks on a Saturday over the winter period and we continue to explore and see a considerable amount of this part of the Island, that we would never see normally. The walks are longer and tougher, but, still very enjoyable. Walking through the countryside, at this time of year many things are are available to those willing to do a liitle scrumping, Figs, Oranges, Pecan nuts, Pomegrantes, are but some of the items.

Pat has taken membership at one of the leisure centres in a local hotel and is able to continue her swimming indoors as it is too cold outdoors.

Our life generally plods along at a gentle pace, we still continue to be amazed by the day in day out sunshine, and often compare with the weather in the UK. Some of the conditions here at the moment - in November - I would have been grateful for during the summer back home.

I hope I never get used to the fact that you wake up nearly every day to blue skies and sunshine.

We have met up with several friends and relatives over the last few months who have been to Cyprus on their holidays and so on. It is a great feeling for us to be able to show people around and pass on information we have picked up by living here.

Christmas is soon to be upon us, and is strange because of being in a different country, although very much celebrated. It is even stranger for us because of the fact that we are still enjoying such good weather, which is totally unseasonal for us.

Our ex-pat eating habits have expanded from the occasional English breakfast, to UK style fish & chips, with mushy peas, which can be purchased at at a restaurant we have found in Mandria, just up the coast and is of course very popular with fellow natives from home. We don’t have them often, but it is very nice when we do.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb