From COVID to Aphrodite....this was Cyprus


Advertisement
Cyprus' flag
Middle East » Cyprus » Limassol
January 25th 2022
Published: January 25th 2022
Edit Blog Post

The road to Cyprus was not a smooth one, but ultimately worth the effort! As part of the COVID protocols on ship, all voyagers are tested prior to arriving in any port. Each port's requirements for testing and quarantining if positive are slightly different, and in some cases changing what seems like almost daily. For Cyprus, voyagers were tested upon docking, and anyone testing positive had to quarantine on the ship for 5 days, which would mean they would miss the entire port as well as be isolated for their quarantine in a designated "COVID jail cell", aka quarantine cabin.

Unfortunately, Maggie was informed upon arrival that she had tested positive and was immediately escorted to an isolation cabin after picking up a few belongings. To compound the situation, her roommate Caroline had made plans to meet her brother in Cyprus, and was now going to have to quarantine on the ship as close contact. Needless to say, Maggie was distraught - she did not have any symptoms, and despite requesting a retest (and being denied) she was looking at 5 days by herself. We tried to help her see the silver linings - of all the ports to miss, Cyprus was one with the least to see, some of her other friends had also been quarantined so at least they would be isolated simultaneously, she was on the ship at the dock, so her phone had service (in some countries, they require them to quarantine in-country for 10 days, which means missing the ship's departure and having to fly to another port once cleared). But understandably, we hung up with Maggie being pretty upset and disappointed.

The next day, though, we get a literally gleeful call saying she's not positive and her entire group of friends are disembarking and going to lunch! Stunned, we had to wait several days to get the details of what had happened, as apparently Cyprus was quite a fun port after all and other than the short, quick text message to confirm she was having a grand time, we did not get much info. When she was finally back on board (and awaiting yet another test result), we got the scoop. Once again, the SAS folks had made some bad calls and communicated poorly. It turns out that the Cyprus officials who had administered the tests had informed the crew that 15 tests (including Maggie's and her friends') had been inconclusive, and only 3 had been positive. Apparently the crew simply decided to quarantine all 18 people out of an abundance of caution and simply tell everyone they were positive. The next day, however, the Cyprus officials came back and cleared the 15 inconclusive tests as all negative (after waiting 24 hours). So the 15 quarantined voyagers were simply told "Good news, you don't have COVID, and you can disembark." No apology, no explanation, just a 180. It was only because someone with SAS accidentally emailed one of the emergency contacts and revealed what had actually happened when pressed for details that the group of voyagers even discovered what had actually transpired. Unfortunately, this is rather indicative of how the SAS team has been operating since the voyage began, and is taking its toll. Voyagers now mistrust the SAS administrators, and are starting to be a lot less cooperative about things like identifying close contacts. We'll see just how strong the revolt becomes as more time passes.

But disembarking in Cyprus meant Maggie was able to travel a bit, hang out with friends at a couple of Air BnB's and get a break from an increasingly frustrating life on the ship. They shopped, and made a home-cooked dinner together one night. And Maggie was able to squeeze in at least a couple of bus rides, one of her favorite modes of transportation while traveling overseas (busses and trains). She and new friend Allegra made a daring bus ride to see Aphrodite's rock (see picture of Maggie standing in the ocean - it was only 45 degrees at the time). Apparently, after spending more time shopping with a large group of friends than she cared to, Maggie and Allegra decided they were going to see Aphrodite's rock. They went to the bus station, only to discover that there was only one more bus leaving for that destination that day, and it was the same bus that would be the last bus bringing folks back from said destination that day. That meant they would only have 10 minutes to visit! The ticket lady at the bus terminal tried multiple times to talk them out of it, insisting they would want more time to visit at the site. But Maggie was determined, and viewed the entire thing as a challenge adventure she would conquer! So,
Fun in the sun in CyprusFun in the sun in CyprusFun in the sun in Cyprus

Kalen, Maggie, Coby, Meadow, Allegra
they boarded the bus, and away they went.

Upon arrival at Aphrodite's Rock, Maggie quickly discovered there were no facilities in which to change into her bathing suit for her much desired photo op. Undeterred, and with the help of her friend Allegra, Maggie quickly turned a nearby bush into a makeshift dressing room, shed her clothes and put on her suit, ran into the frigid water to pose like Aphrodite being born out of the sea, then scurried back to the warmth of the bus just in time for its departure! Definitely her father's daughter.

The next day on a different bus ride (and I apologize, but the details surrounding this ride are fuzzier), she and 3 other girls were riding a bus all alone until one stop when about 25-30 young men boarded, all speaking Greek. Unsettled but a bit intrigued, Maggie and her friend Allegra, who were sitting in the row in front of two of the new passengers, timidly asked about the group. The young men said they would explain momentarily, and then the group broke out into a rousing chorus of chant and response, further baffling Maggie and her friends. When they finished, the guys explained that they were all from the Cypriot military and on leave, and spent the rest of the bus ride chatting with Maggie and Allegra. (see photo of bus ride)

So, after a bumpy start and a whirlwind tour of Cyprus, Maggie was safely back on board the MV World Odyssey and is now headed to Croatia, their next port. Croatia requires anyone testing positive to quarantine in-country for 10 days, so fingers crossed that Maggie remains COVID free for this upcoming port. They have an 8-day voyage so it will probably be a week or so before we post again, unless anything interesting happens on ship.

Thanks for following along, and feel free to comment here or email Maggie if you want to reach out directly. Hope you enjoy the pictures!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Cyprus traveling companionsCyprus traveling companions
Cyprus traveling companions

Left to right - Madeline, Allegra, Bella, Meadow and Maggie
Cyprus bus military escortCyprus bus military escort
Cyprus bus military escort

Allegra and Maggie making new friends on a Cyprus bus


25th January 2022

Rock on Maggie!
Sounds like you are having so much fun and making the most oof any situation that comes your way! Good for you! Your pictures are fantastic!

Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0823s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb