Republic of Ireland Day 13. Wexford.


Advertisement
Europe
September 13th 2017
Published: September 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Day 13 Wexford
A great day cycling along the Copper Coast from Dungarvan where every corner delivered a fantastic view and a chance of a great photo. So progress was slow at times with Dunmahon Beach being good to see with the rollers coming on and the sandy beach plus the signs warning of drug smugglers landing illicit cargo and a warning to dog owners to pick up their nasty stuff. Further on we saw the remains of copper mining buildings with boiler houses and chimney. These were in use employing 1200 people until the 1880's but had their heyday in the early 19'th century. This coastline is not unlike Cornwall with its steep climbs and dramatic shores. Last night we had a good meal at the Moorings pub and restaurant in Dungarvan and a great breakfast made by Michelle at Barnawee Bridge B&B. There was a blue sky to send us off and the prospect of rain mid afternoon, which did not disappoint, or maybe it did since it was as predicted. We set off on the new cycleway which goes along an old railway line all the way from Dungarvan to Waterford, approximately 30 miles. Half the group to this route and four of us hen dropped off after 4 miles and did the Copper Route. The four of us had an early lunch at Moe's Cafe in Tramore before heading for the ferry at Passage East. As we crossed the river Suir on the ferry we saw some of the renegade group cycling away towards Arthurstown. We caught them up and then reformed other groups on the road to the Farmers Kitchen in Wexford. Progress was slowed somewhat by Bill being stung on the upper lip by a bee. This was extracted by nurse Margaret and then the lip began to swell so much that he must have been related to Forest Gump's friend Bubba the shrimper. We called at a mini market for a snack and Margaret bought some Piriton antihistamine tablets to reduce the reaction from the pharmacy. After 5 or 6 hours the swelling reduced and the Guinness could then be imbibed without a straw. Whilst we were dealing with this at the mini market the heavens opened and dropped some water, which we were glad to be missing. A few miles further on and we were caught again and fortunately Bill and Shirley voted to shelter in a church doorway and we evaded the early bath again. At the mini market we had another split and Peter, plus others, went the easy way into Wexford to see if he could find someone to replace his broken spoke from this morning. He arrived at 4.45pm just in time for a friendly bike shop owner to repair it for him on the spot. Lucky guy. Another good meal at the Farmers Kitchen rounded off another superb day in great company.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb