Republic of Ireland. Day 6 110 km.


Advertisement
Europe
September 7th 2017
Published: September 7th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Day 6. Dingle. 110km
Early start at 8 since poor forecast today. I have come to the conclusion that it rains Mondays and Thursdays in Ireland since it is exactly the same weather as when I did this tour last year. It rained on and off all day with odd appearances of the sun and I was not sure whether I should put on sun cream or goose grease. Whilst the wind was not quite as strong as yesterday it caused us to puff and blow all the way to Dingle. We dropped to the sea just before the start of the big climb and saw lots of wading birds such as herons, egrets,curlews and oyster catchers. The start of the climb saw some rain appear and whilst the climb of 7 percent is not too severe the wind made it much worse and bottom gear was selected for much of the way. Photos were taken at about 3km of the 5km climb and after that visibility dropped to 100m, so that was that. A few minutes at the top to experience the initial stages of hypothermia and the descent began into the driving rain and more wind. I stopped to put on my cape and took off my misted specs but had to put them back on since the rain was drilling my eyes out. I was having to pedal down hill in my middle ring as the Enigma was living up to its name and not allowing me the option of the big ring. Once in Dingle the rain stopped and we went to a small cafe owned by a hippie who looked 30 yrs out of date. The food was good but we needed to put on his small heater to get some feeling back into our fingers as he had the door open to the elements. After a quick look at the harbour and town we set off for Castlemaine at great speed with a tail wind. On our way we stopped at Annascaul to visit the South Pole Hotel to have a drink and look at the memorabilia of Ernest Shackleton's fateful journey with Ireland's own hero Tom Crean who came back but suffered snow blindness. Turning left and over the 180m hill after Castlemaine Tralee came into view arriving back at 4.30 for a set to on my laundry. Another evening meal in the Benners Hotel was a treat, as always, before a look around the town of Tralee.
Last night we all ate too much and struggled to sleep. Never again.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0351s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb