Estonia, Estonia, how do I love thee, Estonia?


Advertisement
Europe
July 22nd 2017
Published: July 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Well, we love Estonia. Old town Tallin is a maze of cobblestone streets winding through 15th century historic buildings. The town square is set up with market carts of local produce, amber washed to the shores of the Baltic Sea, and Estonia-made textiles. We found a charming restaurant for dinner where we tried historic entrees and a spicy and invigorating pepper schnapps shot. The wait staff remained in 15th century character throughout, wearing traditional clothes and pointy shoes.
Our airbnb was the fantastic Bishop's quarters, right off the square. We might have been visited by a ghost or two in our 550 year old stone home for the night. Our proprietor told us how he moved from Finland to Estonia for a quieter, simpler life.
Before heading out to explore, early the next morning, we found a quiet coffee shop in the stone basement of a midevil castle with delicious tiny espressos and locally made pastries.
A word of caution, however, the ferry crossing the Baltic Sea is not for the weak of stomach. The waves tossed our small boat in all directions and we sat in the small, overheated cabin with many passengers feeling woozy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.279s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0816s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb