Grindelwald and Trummelbachfalle


Advertisement
Europe
July 7th 2017
Published: July 7th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Another warm day has dawned and we figured that a little cool is in order. The Trummelbach Falls are inside a mountain and we know they are really cool and impressive so would be a good choice for today. We caught the bus down to the station, got the train to Zweilutschenen, changed to the Lauterbrunnen train and walked from there to the Falls. It's an easy walk of a few kilometres but certainly not comfortable in the heat. We stopped at a shaded picnic table by a stream for lunch and then headed off to the Falls.

First we got a lift up inside the mountain (like a funicular going up steep stairs). From there we walked up several levels of falls each thundering and splurging at an enormous velocity as the water was forced through a narrow shute of rocks. The water drains the 3 glaciers of Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau at 20,000 lts per second and empties a 24 sq km area. The Falls start at the top of high cliffs and cut into the rock of the mountain with gravels from the glacier so that instead of flowing over the cliff it cuts into the mountain and spirals downwards through pools, bowls and cascades. The noise is deafening and the air is very cool. It is an amazing sight and certainly worth a visit.

We then caught a bus and a train back to Grindelwald where we went back to the house for a drink and a cool off on the balcony. Brendan, Tracey and the kids went off to the Sports Centre for a swim while we caught a bus up to our old stomping ground of Terrasenweg for a walk back to view the changes. At a new cafe where Mrs Jossi used to live we had a talk to the owner who said it was opening again tomorrow. We used to walk along to here every morning to pick up fresh bread from the old farmhouse. It is now a new modern building and Mrs Jossi has since died.

At Uf dr Ofni where we stayed so often, the property has been sold and a new house stands there with another new one next door. There used to be a lovely very old farmhouse in this location with a paddock all around. All this has gone. It looks nice but it's
TrummelbachfalleTrummelbachfalleTrummelbachfalle

One of the shutes thundering into a large bowl
not the same even if the foot print is similar. Other than those two items, life seems to have continued on as it has for years with rental apartments, small business'es, rooms to let, farms and cheese sales. It is by far the best place to stay when visiting as it is quieter and has magnificent views out over the valley and to the high Alps.

So, another good day, but a hot day. A lady we heard on the train said this is the 3rd hottest summer in 50 years so it's not just us

Advertisement



Tot: 0.59s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 59; dbt: 0.3853s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb