A Day in Lyon


Advertisement
Europe
June 12th 2015
Published: June 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Musee des Beaux-Arts,  Lyon Musee des Beaux-Arts,  Lyon Musee des Beaux-Arts, Lyon

Wonderful ceiling patterns in the archways.
Friday 12 June 2015

Four years ago we spent some time in Lyon but our experience was limited because of some travel bug on the lookout for a victim. Today is a chance to set things right.

With heavy showers forecast we packed the wet weather gear and emerged from our hotel on the edge of the city to do what the locals do - catch a tram. Our tour leader had already investigated the necessary details: nearest tram stop, how to purchase an all day ticket and where to hop off and change to the underground train. No problems at all. Nearest stop less than one minute from the hotel, big friendly ticket machine there and then the fun of using the shiny trams and trains which come along at very short intervals. There must be a lesson there for Auckland!

Once we popped up in the square that seemed to be a good starting point we were pleased to spot the Office de Tourisme sign and followed the arrow. It has been our experience that one such sign is not followed by others and it's easy to lose the trail. Today the same thing happened, then
Musee des Beaux-Arts, LyonMusee des Beaux-Arts, LyonMusee des Beaux-Arts, Lyon

Eating fromage, a fun painting.
we heard English being spoken nearby and asked this tourist couple if they had found the elusive tourist office. No, but they had a map they insisted was finished with and handed it to us. They were on a river cruise and heading back to the boat. A few minutes later we rounded a nearby building and of course, there was the office.

Sightseeing commenced. Four years ago the huge St Jean Cathedral had been closed, boarded up for cleaning work. Now the great west end facade Is clean and beautiful. Inside, cleaning is still to be done on all but the sanctuary and that part is still scaffolded and closed from view. Maybe the work will be finished in our lifetime...

Off to the funicular that climbs up the hill to the best panoramic views of Lyon. Stunning, even with cloudy skies. While there we went into the great Basilica with its wonderful mosaics and highly decorated interior. Almost too much to take in, so we sat a while and just looked. Down the stairs is another huge church with its columns supporting the one on top.

Time for the Museum of Fine Arts to get
LyonLyonLyon

A great flowery sculpture.
a fix of paintings by the Old Masters and some more modern ones. Rubens, Renoir, Degas, Monet, etc etc etc. Small paintings and absolutely enormous paintings which made us wonder how one artist could handle such huge works. Perhaps they had some friends to help.

Well pleased with our first day back in Lyon and having dodged the rain by being underground or inside whenever a shower arrived, we retraced our journey on the underground and tram then opened a welcome beer or two back at our great hotel. A very very good day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

LyonLyon
Lyon

St Jean Cathedral
LyonLyon
Lyon

Inside Notre Dame Basilica, Fourier.


Tot: 2.991s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.107s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb