ET - 2014


Advertisement
Europe
September 6th 2014
Published: September 7th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

ET 2014 Day One . . . . getting here


Well, here we go again and we’ve literally been off to a running start. Courtesy of a workplace contact with Delta Airlines we were off to Europe with Delta via Seattle, then direct to Amsterdam where we were either going to fly or take a train (subject to pricing) to the day one destination of Berlin.

To get to YVR from South Surrey we had decided to make use of transit since we have a bus stop two blocks from home direct to Bridgeport Station where we would catch a Millenium Line train to YVR to rendezvous with Annie. Locking the house up shortly before 8:00AM Thursday we walked in morning sunshine under blue skies with plenty of time to get to the bus stop but as we were just about to the street the bus runs on it passed through the intersection,. Not usually inclined to run after a bus, for some reason we stepped up the pace and the journey was off to a running start.

At Bridgeport station our train came along in about two minutes and as we boarded, there was Annie. Perfect timing for our rendezvous. Next stop, YVR and we made our way to the Delta check-in area where we were greeted by a friendly Delta staff member who on hearing of our travel plans said we did not need to check-in and guided us directly to security where we bypassed a long line up and went straight through the security procedures. Dressing and re-packing after security it was off to gate E90 where we met the Delta gate attendant, Dave M who was friendly and entertaining to all the passengers in the waiting area. Dave assured us he would be able to look after us and assigned two first class seats and one business class seat on flight 4732. He also checked the loading for our connecting flight from Seattle and said things looked good as he was showing at least 11 seats “up front”.

On a clear blue sky day that short flight from Vancouver to Seattle above the San Juan Islands and islands of Puget Sound is a beautiful sight. From above it looks like it must be a boaters’ dream for cruising. In less than an hour we were at SeaTac and transferred from the North Terminal to the South Terminal from where our flight was departing. En route, flight attendants Heather and Randy, were able to serve beverages and small snacks which were not expected. After all, it’s only about a 40 minute flight.

So, in not much more than an hour and a half we were at the gate for Delta flight 232 to Amsterdam. Unlike Vancouver, this waiting area was crowded and the two harried gate attendants were swamped trying to keep up with the processing of all the passengers. We presented ourselves to them and they told us that our status was “Flight Optimized”, which translates as no seats available to those of us flying standby. The next scheduled direct flight to Amstersdam was about 7:00PM so we had time to sit and consider our options. Wait and take our chances at 7:00PM or look for alternate routing ? Although the flight was apparently “optimized” we hung around in the area after the gate had been closed as we considered our options,, “ just in case “. While we were waiting we met a Delta flight attendant in uniform who was also wanting a seat as she had to make a flight that she would be working from Amsterdam. As we waited this flight attendant, and another, somehow learned there were empty seats on the plane. Well, the attendant who had to be in Amsterdam was pretty persistant and determined saying she would ride the cockpit jump seat because she just had to be there. Her persistence paid off and the gate attendants processed her and unlocked the gate for her to board. By now, departure time, we were hearing the flight had empty seats because of a weight issue. Apparently too much fuel had been loaded on.

Another five minutes or so and suddenly the gate attendants announced that the captain had advised he would take the delay and to board as many additional passengers as could be accommodated. There were 11 of us now crowding the counter to get boarding passes but now we couldn’t be processed as the flight had already been closed out and the computer system wouldn’t allow further boarding passes to be issued. Not only that, the computer believed the plane had already left the gate,. After some delay someone was able to trick or convince the computer that all was well and 11 more boarding passes were issued. Eleven people ran down the gateway into a nearly full plane and were met by a smiling persistent flight attendant on her way to Amsterdam. The second run of the day and in minutes every available seat no matter where it was was occupied. Flight 232 left the gate at SeaTac twenty minutes late with a huge sigh of relief from 11 people. Thanks to that persistent flight attendant who thought Delta shouldn’t leave passengers behind when seats were available. I suspect she may have had a convincing word or two with the captain.

Westjet has been my preferred carrier of choice of carriers but after the Delta experience and flight to Amsterdam I think future international flights will be Delta. The easy to use entertainment system is computer based and has the latest and most current of movies as well as older films. Food and beverage service was plentiful and all complimentary. (Air Canada, R U reading this ?) Even the economy seats were comfortable and had leg room.

Nine hours later we arrived to an overcast and light foggy day at Schipol International in Amsterdam with transportation to Berlin the priority. A quick check of the terminal ticket counters and KLM appears to be the only airline flying to Berlin. The cheapest one way fare is 400 euros each, about $565 Cdn). Then it’s off to the railway ticket counter, which had been the original plan, before we had learned from an Information Kiosk that there was no rail service from the airport because of an overnight act of sabotage. (that’s what they call the theft of copper wire here) . Fortunately there are three ticket windows dedicated to International ticketing and a short line up of less than a dozen persons because there is at least a couple hundred people lined up at the other ticket wickets buying local tickets. We talk to the agent, he does his thing and at 10:10 tells us there is a train leaving at 10:21 from Platform three. We say OK and three hundred and seven euros later ($430 Cdn), we have three tickets, reserved seating and an itinary in about 5 minutes and are on the run again. We make it to platform three and in less than 3 minutes we’re on a train and leaving Shipol International. We find seats, a breath of relief, but wait a minute, it’s not quite 10:21, are we on the right train ? Fortunately a young guy sitting across from us speaks English. No, we are on the wrong train but it’s OK. At the second stop we can get off and catch the right train on Track 8. Turns out we are not the only ones on the wrong train because at the second stop lots of people get off and are running for Track 8. We are on the run again because Track 8 is in another terminal building about long block away. A train arrives within minutes of our arrival, the cars are numbered, and yes, it is the right train. All Aboard, and we are on to Berlin.

En route we decide that rather than struggle with baggage on the transit system at rush hour when we arrive in Berlin at 5:30PM we will just take a taxi to the Air BnB accommodation awaiting us. Lots of taxis in front of the main Berlin rail station and as we are on the way Beth telephones and advises she and Al whose journey had started earlier to allow some time in London are just leaving Berlin Tegel airport and will meet us at the apartment. It turns out that Tegel is only about 15 minutes away and Beth and Al arrive moments after us. The apartment is more than expected. It is a large three bedroom, modern apartment on the 5th floor with hardwood flooring, newer appliances, and an open floor plan that enhances the size of the apartment. A nice feature is that the bedrooms, all at the rear of the apartment off the entry hall and overlooking a small courtyard, can be closed off and separated from the rest of the living area. A convenient layout if people arrive at different times, or if someone simply needs a rest, or some quiet alone time.

So the ET 2014 group, (European Tour 2014) is now all together. Four days in Berlin and we will be on the road again.

After everyone has a chance to get somewhat settled in, exchange stories, and oh and ahh about the apartment there is some discussion about maybe finding a nearby place to eat. Out come “the devices” and Trip Advisor but so many choices just seem to create more confusion and indecision. We finally settle on a place nearby, Mary’s Café - Bar offering African food. Turns out this place is literally just around the corner. There’s a couple African guys sitting at a table out front having a beer, loud music from inside, and it really looks like your basic “hole in the wall” joint. It ain’t very big. While the outdoor menu is being perused and the establishment discussed the two men discretely leave their table and the music volume is decreased. The decision is made, we’ll eat here anyways.

With a little interpretive help from Wendy there are three orders of fish. Talapia. You know, those nice little white fillets of fish ? Turns out that here you get the whole delicious fish grilled with a tasty salad. Another dish ordered is chicken, supposedly with curly fries. The deep fried and spiced chicken is served on a bed of deliciously spiced rice with just the perfect amount of “bite” to it. Something a little different and unusual, meat on skewers, is the final order. No one asks what type of meat and we still don’t know, but was as advertised, simply grilled meat on a skewer. Four out of five thumbs up isn’t too bad, and even the meat on skewers didn’t get a thumbs down.

It’s been a long day, or has it been two days. We started early in the morning of Thursday, arrived early in the morning of Friday, and our evening was ending about 10:00PM with everyone needing sleep and time for bodies to adjust. Someone who is normally awake and up by 6:00AM actually was the last one up at 11:00AM Saturday morning. Most unusual, but it got me a coffee served in bed !


Advertisement



Tot: 0.249s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb