Day 21: actual day 21 - arrival in Spain


Advertisement
Europe
July 18th 2012
Published: July 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

(Forgot a bit of our convo last night! We were asking our fav staff guy about going to the airport – he gave us like 5x different ways to get there ranging from a taxi to the chicken bus (where locals can literally bring chickens) to walking. Oh my, we couldn’t stop laughing)

After all that, we were kind of bummed to leave our hostel this morning – the staff were so fantastic with us and the social aspect of the hostel was just top-notch. We said goodbye to the woman that’s always there cooking – big goodbye with her, she was a sweetheart. Our fav guy at the hostel brought us out to get a taxi and negotiated the price for us so we wouldn’t have to – we were so pleased haha. He gave us a great big hug as we left and was joking around about leaving a great review on line. We’re like no worries! We give you 500% hahaha.

Flight to Casablanca was a little intense – tiny plane, but not like a 10 seater or anything... around 70 seats I think. The take off was ridiculous, which I suppose wasn’t surprising considering our approach in Marrakech was more than a little bumpy – I don’t know if it’s the desert or the mountains or what but serious updrafts shaking our plane. And of course there was a lady on the plane super afraid of flying who kept screaming “ALLAH” like at the top of her voice in all the turbulence... and it was some pretty hefty turbulence so that was a little unsettling.

When we landed I looked at the landing gear haha – literally just two big wheels which I thought was odd for a plane that size/make. Even better? Wheels were borderline flat. I’m surprised our landing was as smooth as it was.

Layover in Casablanca was uneventful – got some food, chilled, looked around a crappy duty-free store – the usual. Flight to Madrid was also uneventful and thankfully much smoother. We randomly got food which was a pleasant surprise. Well. Sort of? The bread was solid as a brick, the yogurt didn’t look like yogurt so I didn’t eat it... but the rice and two bite-sized pieces of chicken were good 😉

Arriving in Spain was interesting – customs didn’t ask a single question, like literally didn’t ask how long we’re staying or even say hi to us... just stamped our passports. Considering we just came in from Africa, were in the non-EU/UK line, and we’re entering the Eurozone... you’d think they’d at least ask us a single question. I will never understand customs.

We found the hostel no problem – it was so nice to see street signs once again!! It’s honestly hilarious being back in Europe – we’re marveling at the fact there are street lights, that cars stop at stop signs, that pedestrians do not roam the streets trying to avoid getting hit by all the cars. It’s amusing, but it’s actually hard to get back into the habit of obeying street rules.

At the hostel we made a new best friend – Miguel lol. He’s staying in our room and he’s friggin’ hilarious. He’s from not far away from Madrid, doesn’t really speak English and speaks a bit of French... but that doesn’t stop him at all from trying to talk with us non-stop... often in full out Spanish. It’s fun though, because we understand bits and pieces and with charades most of it makes sense... most of it haha. Oh my God though, we were killing ourselves laughing and we accidentally taught him to say “all of the things!” instead of “everything” and other stupid stuff like that. He’s staying until Sunday, so this will be interesting over the next few days! We stayed up until like 1am talking... this could get ugly haha.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.364s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1005s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb