Is it real camping?


Advertisement
Europe
April 29th 2012
Published: April 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Some of the outfits that you see on the sites these days make you wonder if it’s really a campsite or more of a technology park! You will often see a campervan pull in with a car on a trailer behind or if your really posh the huge campervans have a small garage that opens up at the back and the car is inside! Then the sides of the mobile house extend and there is a strange whirring noise as the satellite dish emerges from the roof and then rotates automatically to track the best reception for the wide screen TV you can see through the window! It’s not the way Dee and I remember it, when we were Scout and Cub leaders we thought it was cool to have three sticks lashed together to stand the plastic washing up bowl on.

This is not real camping, Dee and I would never “sell out” to this pampered and safe world. Well we did make an exception this time though and put the microwave in as some friends told us it was a real Godsend, and of course you can put it in the awning so that it’s out of the way. No that’s not selling out it’s just a small concession, in the good old days hitch hiking around Europe I often didn’t have a tent, just a sleeping bag and a sheet of plastic! Dee has braved music festivals with only a tent and one set of clothes!

We do find one other thing that is useful though – the ipod, great if you can’t sleep. I think that’s it though, oh well apart from the laptop that I’m writing this on and of course the mobile phones just for emergencies (they’re working again now!), the fridge, the cappuccino machine (can’t live without that it’s practically an essential) and I was going to ask Dee if she can think of anything else but she’s still in bed reading her Kindle (come on now, that’s saving the weight of all those books, we’ve got to have it!).

No, I can honestly say that we like the simple life, just the basics for us. The open road, food, water and fuel that’s all we need and a sat nav, cruise control and air conditioning. Oh and the caravan mover, it’s an electric motor that guides the caravan to hitch up to the car, saves all that pushing and shoving ………………….!

Advertisement



30th April 2012

sold out
come on you have always been Margo and Jerry, to our Tom AND Barbera,
30th April 2012

Oh Tom! (coyly)

Tot: 0.22s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb