Roman Holiday


Advertisement
Europe
January 2nd 2012
Published: January 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today we woke up to grey sky's in Venice. Couldn't have asked for a more spectaular last full day yesterday with the sun shining while we took in the Grand Canal. In the light rain we made our way back to the Veniza train station via vaboretto ( water bus) and off to Rome. With the rain it made for a perfect travel day. The train ride was a three hour tour, Veniza, Bologona, Florence, lush rolling hills and vineyards through Tuscany ending in Rome.

Quick taxi ride and we were settled at the Marriott Grand Flora. Each Marriott being grander than the last. Customized welcome sign and a nice bottle of vino waiting in the spacious room. We dropped our bags and headed out for a quick tour and snack. We are centrally located, a 10 min walk though the fashion district (don't worry I already warned Leslie she will be buying me some nice Italian shoes tomorrow -lol) we ventured into another fantastic Tattori! House Wine from a unmarked bottle ($12) think it came from a big ol jug in the kitchen graced our table, freshly made artichoke lasagna which was sublime to top it off with amazing tiramusio. Ove all first impressions Rome is a stricking cosmopolitian city. Great ebegry and vibe, clean and safe, and constantly bustling. Funny story...On our way back to the hotel we stopped to get a few bottles of wine at the corner store. What a "trip". The sign read absinthe and wine. The clerk in her 70's, no teeth may have been a little high on something herself. We cracked up the whole time.

When in Veniza we met a family from Boston who highly recommended a tour guide "Rome for Jews" a local famous author Roy Dolandier. Back entrance into the Vatican and Collisium. We contacted him as we arrived, Luckily he had a couple of openings both over the next few days so we are booked for two private tours, how exciting.

Tomorrow shoe shopping and the Jewish Getto

More to come - When in Rome.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 3.632s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0414s; 3; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb