Istanbul


Advertisement
Europe
October 28th 2011
Published: October 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Our hotel in IstanbulOur hotel in IstanbulOur hotel in Istanbul

and our home away from home, our tour bus.
Today we see Istanbul. As most of you know, Istanbul has a varied history. We focus on the Byzantium era then as it changed to Constantinople.

We go to the Imperial part of the city and visit the Hagia Sophia, which means Holy Wisdom. Although originally a church built in 532-537 CE, it is now a museum. When the Ottomans took the city in the 16th century, they covered most of the Christian symbols with plaster. A lot of work has been done to remove some of that plaster and restore original art.

The best preserved mosaic is from the 10th century, showing the Roman Emperor Justinian presenting the church to Mary with Constantine looking on. It is in the back of the exit hall so they placed a mirror over the exit to make sure people see it before they leave.

The base of the basilica is rock so it has not been damaged by earthquakes, but has been affected by fire 3 times. However, several mosaics and reliefs survived. Hagia Sophia was the peak of Roman architecture and became a model for Muslim churches.

One thing I didn't realize is that the dome is not exactly circular. Also, the columns on one side of the basilica are from the Temple of Diana at Ephesus, which was one of the wonders of the ancient world.

From Hagia Sophia, we walked across the street to view the best preserved section of the Roman cistern. The cistern runs underneath the city, built in 532 CE to protect the city from a siege cutting off water supply. It's 90% original, has 336 columns to supporting the level above and the walls are 12 feet thick to effectively handle the level of water. In the 16th century it was used as a prison. When the Christians came in the removed most of the pagan symbols, but as is often the case, newly converted people are still superstitious of previous beliefs, so they kept a couple of column heads of Medusa but placed them at the bottom of the column, one sideways and one upside down. That way they covered themselves both ways.

We then went to the Grand Bazaar, built in 1461. They say there are 4000 shops but really there are only about 15 different types of stores. They rest are just repeats. Stores sell jewelry, textiles
Cats at Hagia SophiaCats at Hagia SophiaCats at Hagia Sophia

Cats everywhere!
and pottery, with 14 entry gates, so you can easily get lost in there and never be found. It was like the street in Houston, Harwin with all the Chinese Knockoffs, on steroids. It is crazy in there! E and I didn't stay long and went to find a cafe for lunch.

Finally, we went to the Spice Market. Not a great draw for us since everyone knows I don't cook, but interesting to see all the various spices and dried fruit.

Oh, and if you didn't know Ernest and I love cats!


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Very friendly!Very friendly!
Very friendly!

My new friends
Emperor's doorEmperor's door
Emperor's door

only Emperor could go through this door so of course, we all did
10th century mosaic10th century mosaic
10th century mosaic

Emperor Justintine presenting church to Mary with Constantine looking on
Reliefs in Hagia SophiaReliefs in Hagia Sophia
Reliefs in Hagia Sophia

some of the recovered art
Muslim artMuslim art
Muslim art

one of the signs of Islam
Roman cisternRoman cistern
Roman cistern

some water for looks


29th October 2011

Love your blogs.
It is a great history lesson. You missed your calling. You should be a history teacher. LOL Can't believe you are missing the GA/Fla game, but I would rather be traveling too!!
30th October 2011

No I did not know you love cats. This picture in a vest is so good. If you have a small one please send me one. Good to hear you are enjoying your trip
30th October 2011

Turkey trip
We will be home on Nov 11. I'll try to get you a picture but you have to be more specific on which one cause I had several. Tell everyone hey
31st October 2011

Great trip...love to see the old buildings and art work.
1st November 2011

Wow -- there was a lot of scaffolding in the Hagia Sofia when Emma visited. It's absence is good. Did you take pictures of the Bosphorus? It was the scene for on of the Bond movies. There is some sort of structure in the middle of it.
2nd November 2011

Bosphorous
we decided not to take the boat ride on the Bosphorous so can't help you there

Tot: 0.328s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0851s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb