St. Moritz, Switzerland


Advertisement
Europe
October 2nd 2011
Published: October 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today was an awesome day. We were able to sleep in this morning before meeting our group to board the Bernina Express for one of Europe’s outstanding train journeys. We visualized glaciers, lakes and forest as we rode this roller coaster route up the Bernina Pass, only to descend via a series of sharp zigzags and tortuous loops. We disembarked in the Italian town of Poschiavo. We spent a short time in the town before boarding our coach to descend to St. Moritz. It was a breathtaking trip. The rest of the day was free which was very much welcome.

We grabbed a sandwich at a local shop (very expensive in St. Moritz) and decided to take the funicular and cable car up to the top of the mountain for breathtaking views. We were accompanied by Ye who is from Singapore and is traveling alone. We had to board 2 funiculars before taking the cable car to the top. Several other members of our tour group had made it to the top and were having lunch. The views from the top were unbelievable. We couldn’t stop taking pictures the views were so stunning. Once again, the skies were cloud free and the temperature very comfortable. Many mountain bikers take the funicular to the top so they can ride down the mountain. They were well equipped with helmets, elbow pads and knee and shin pads. We saw a couple of people riding down. It looked treacherous.
We learned that the funicular and cable car will be closing down in a couple of weeks until December when the skiers will descend on this beautiful town.

After about an hour at the top, we made the trip down to the town with a plan to walk around the lake which we were told would take about an hour. After a quick stop at our hotel to get some water, John, Ye and I set out in search of the escalator that would take us down to the lake. After wandering around looking for it, we finally asked someone who set us off in the right direction. There were 3 sections of escalator to the bottom and then an elevator which let us out right on the trail. We finished the walk in just a little over an hour. It was a beautiful afternoon in the late afternoon sun. Everyone we talked to agreed that this was an awesome day.
We dined in the bar in the restaurant since we were hearing stories of how expensive the restaurants were. We dined with the Aussie family of 4 and had a very enjoyable evening before returning to our room. It is up early in the morning with bags out at 7 a.m.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



4th October 2011

Vacation Blog
George and John, I am truly enjoying your day to day excursions. You both do an absolutely wonderful job of describing your daily activities. You should both consider being travel guides in your retirement! I am so happy you are having wonderful time! Talk to you when you get home.

Tot: 0.457s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb