Last day of driving before the weekend off in Berlin.


Advertisement
Europe
August 19th 2011
Published: August 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

The plan for today was to go to Weimar for a coffee and then to head to the concentration camp at Buchenwald. I had mixed feelings about taking Sam there but he was interested and it is an interesting experience. Then we would head to Berlin, taking our time and either check in and get Paul, or go straight to the airport to meet him at 9.30pm.

We were really excited about meeting Paul and the day started well with a swim before breakfast which we made in the room. As soon as we had parked the car in the underground car park in Weimar the heavens opened and we had to go back for waterproofs. Managed to wals to the market square and enjoyed a coffee in the Elephant hotel where the guidebook said was a favourite of the Nazis.. Didin't see much else and decided not to go to the concentration camp in the rain but to head straight up to Berlin nice and early. The journey was slow because of roadworks on the A2 and hold ups as well as speed restrictions for the weather....but the directions from google maps were easy to follow and we found the road - Kopernicker strasse very easily. The problem was the hotel was no where to be seen so I rang them. We were in the wrong Kopernicker strasse 😞 5 hours later, lots of attempts at getting directions and even resorting to the navigation on my phone we gave up and went to meet Paul. Sam had been upset for some time and I had tried to be strong and keep on looking. It was only when Paul came through the arrival gate that I burst into tears. Handing over the car keys to him was a huge relief and I was sooo happy to see him.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.265s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0944s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb