To market, to market


Advertisement
Europe
July 31st 2011
Published: July 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Slept in and started off rather late seeing we had a hard day the day before. Headed off to Marche Bastille (market in Bastille). A wonderful open air market and we cannot believe how cheap the fruit and vegetables are. Lots of interesting things to see.
After the market we headed off to the Catacombs at Denfert Rochereau (one of 3 underground cemeteries created in the 18th century to solve the problems posed by Paris overflowing cemeteries). We walked 20 meters below street level and meandered through 1.6 kms of winding tunnels stacked floor to ceiling with the bones of 6,000 Parisians. At one point we rounded a corner and there was a big black Parisian sitting on a chair snoring. HE MUST HAVE BEEN DEAD TIRED ....and scared the shit out of Aleena. The catacombs was truly amazing and also eerie.
We then went to see the Louvre Museum but it was closed. Second time in Paris with that being the case ... is Mona really worth it?
Disappointed, but wasted no time to make our way to see another highlight on our list, we went to sit on the banks of a canal at Jacques Bonsergent with many other Parisians. Everyone is so relaxed and chilled.
We intended to see the Latin and Jewish Quarters but decided to call it a day as our feet were very sore and Aleena could not walk another step. There is always tomorrow.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.341s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb