23/07 Italy


Advertisement
Europe
July 23rd 2011
Published: July 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

After spending several days in small country towns we decided that it was time to hit the big city, Rome. We found a caravan park booked in, and caught the public transport into the city to check out the sights. We spent 4 days exploring.

We spent our first full day at the Vatican city. When we arrived we saw a massive line. There were no signs marking what the line was for, so we assumed that it was for the musseums. We joined the line and patiently waited, giving evil looks to the people who pushed in, and making sure that they didn't push in directly in front of us. After about 45minutes we finally got to the front, went through security and found out that we were in the line to see the basilica and not the museums. Slightly disappointed we looked around the amazing church and court yard which can hold 300 000 people. We then obtained directions to enter the museums, which was 1km further around the outside of the wall. By this time we had lost the early start, and our original line had doubled, so we were terrified at what we would see by the time we walked there. However it wasn't too bad, about another 45minute line up, and we were in looking at amazing treasures which the pope and church had gathered over centuries. The final part ended in the sistine Chapel. The Sistine Chapel defiantly did live up to expectation. just standing there and looking up at it you really appreciate the effort and talent. Luke and I spent quite a while sitting down just staring at the roof. Luke wanted to get a beer and lie down on the floor, so he could drink it while looking at it (he is sure the pope does it often).


The next day was Sunday and nothing is really open on Sunday's apart from a few attractions and museums so we planned on going to the colosseum. We had decided to book the tickets over the Internet so we didn't have to line up. Luke sweet talked the girls at the reception to print them out for us. once again, we got up early (mainly to beat the sun as the days are over 40), and headed into the city. We walked out of the train station and saw for the first time the colosseum. After appreciating the building itself we then saw the absolute chaos which was occurring around the base. The line was massive, with no order, and the doors hadn't opened yet. It turns out that there was a strike on and the colosseum wouldn't open till 12. Luke and I decided to go and see palatine hill first. When we arrive it was just as chaotic as only limited staff were on. We had the tickets from The colosseum, so didn't have to line up, but we still wanted to get the audio guide. However the line wasn't moving. Tour guides were angry and pushing in left right and centre, however no one was getting served, after awhile, we decided to buy a guide book from the gift shop and become our own guides. We had also downloaded an iPad ap and audio guides of Rick steves  which we used to roam around the ruins. It was actually a really good guide, so we  have downloaded all the Rick steves guides and are slowly listening to his advice on Europe. Big recommendation to anyone traveling to Europe!

Luckily our tickets to the colosseum were for two days, so we decided that we would try to see the colosseum the following day. So another early morning, and we were off. We got in this time without a problem and with no lines. We took a tour of the grounds, however we weren't very happy with it, so we pulled out our iPad, plugged in our head phones and once again relied on Rick Steve to guide us around.

The first night, we got really excited because a contiki bus pulled up and was staying at our accommodation. We were then slightly horrified when the buses kept coming. In total 4 buses rocked up, meaning that it was a sleepless night as they were so loud and noisy. It soon dawned on us, that that was normal for the accommodation. The busses come in, spend two nights, giving the kids one full day in Rome, and then they go leaving room for more contiki buses. 

By the end of our time in Rome we were exhausted. We had been getting up early to try and beat the crowds. Being kept up late due to contiki, and the days were extremely hot. We both tossed up if we should skip Pompeii, mainly to save a 4hour car ride down, just to turn around and drive back up. After a while, we came to our senses and decided that if you are in italy you have to see Pompeii. So we jumped in the hoot and started the drive south. We arrived at 5.30, found parking and went straight in. Because it was so late in the day there were no line up for tickets, the weather was a cooler, and very little tourists. So we actually had fun running around the ancient city. It was 7.30 when we realized that it was closing time, we didn't have a map and we had no idea how to make our way back to the entrance. We started planning the best places to sleep for the night when we came across a few other tourists. There were 7 of us frantically trying to find the exit. Luckily we found it, and got to sleep with the hoot.

The following day we went up mount vesuvius. We were planning on another big driving day so we went for the cheeky option and bought tickets for a fwd bus to take us to the top. Unfortunately it still involved a 2km hike up a slippery winding track to reach the summit. It was a beautiful view over the coast line and was a bit daunting that the volcano is still active. afterwards we joined the ratrace and headed back north to the lake district just north of Rome. We stayed the night and then the following day checked out the lakes and in the afternoon mozied our way west to the medateranian ocean. 

During the drive from Pompeii to Rome, we experienced our worst part of Italian driving with a vehicle from the inside lane deciding to take the exit forcing us to move over and nearly take the exit also. The Italians are crazy and is the only country so far which road signs don't mean a thing! The Italians believe that on a road with one lane going both ways, there is a third lane in the middle which is open to any one, therefore it doesn't matter what direction your going, or if it is double white lines and going around a bend, the third lane is fair game. This makes it a very interesting drive. However the Italians are more than happy to overtake and or be overtaken, it's not like Perth where people speed up just to avoid being over taken.

We wish a huge happy birthday to grumps and kayella on this lovely Italian day!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0188s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb