Genoa


Advertisement
Europe
January 19th 2011
Published: January 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I last port before we return to Barcelona for two day and then the states. Genoa is located in northern Italy and is best known for the birthplace of Christopher Columbus. Our say started at 8:30 for breakfast, due to us not having an excursion today we took our time leaving the boat. We started walking toward the main square of Genoa, along the way there many shops, cafes, and homeless people begging for money. The apartments and houses in Genoa are so beautiful they are situated on a mountain so that each one has a overview of the ocean. They are painted green, blue, red, or tan and have beautiful wooden hinged windows. I wish we had place similar to these in the states, the closet thing I could think of would be having a apartment in city place in West Palm Beach, Florida; however, it costs a fortune to live there.
Eventually we arrived to the square, which housed a really big fountain. We then had some free time to shop and walk around at our leisure; my friends and I decided to walk up the mountain for a little while. Along the way we stopped at some shops and cafes. I wish we had cafes back home; I am not talking about that knock off thing called Starbucks, but an actual Italian café. Walking into one those cafes is like walking into heaven, you smell delicious scents of Italian pastries and the rich bitterness of the coffee. After having a brief canolli break, which is a pastry filled with a cream and sprinkled with powder sugar we then headed back to the fountain and started walking a different way, where we found a few shops. I bought myself a bottle of red wine, my mom a teakettle, and my grandma a jar of honey.
After shopping for a few more minutes we then proceed back to the fountain to meet up with our group. We then walked a little further up the mountain and were set looses like the winged monkeys of the Wizard of Oz upon the streets of Genoa. My friends and I find a quaint pizzeria where we ordered a large pizza. Though we had a full hour it took us about 45 minutes to get our food and then 5 minutes to eat it. American pizza has nothing on Italian pizza; the pizza of Italy is like the nectar of the gods. After eating really quickly we meet up with our group and then met up with our group. We then started walking back to the boat which would depart at 5:00 P.M for Barcelona.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb