Sailing in Montenegro


Advertisement
Europe
July 6th 2010
Published: July 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

With calm seas and favourable winds we departed Trogir on Wednesday morning aboard Grimi, a 37 foot Sun Osyssey, and arrived in Montenegro on Sunday just in time to watch the sun setting over the bay of Hercig Novi.

Having explored the bay of Kotor we are now moored at Kotor town harbour which is a small walled Venetian town with numerous churches and attendant squares that are interconnected by cobbled alleyways. Walking the walls of Kotor is a far more precarious and arduous task than walking the walls of Dubrovnik or strolling along Hadrians wall in the English countryside. The crumbling old city walls lead to the hilltop fortress of St. John located above the town and it took the best part of an hour of strenuous uphill climb. We tackled the climb in the cool of the morning when most of the wall was in the shadow of the mountain.

This afternoon we retreated to the air conditioned maritime museum and are now hoping to find some evening entertainment for after dinner. There is currently a young persons festival on in town and last night we attended a free concert in one of the many churches. The
Risan town harbourRisan town harbourRisan town harbour

Not much parking space
highlight was a young man who played numerous classical piano pieces with great energy and aplomb. There was no likliehood of anyone in the audience nodding off.

There is a dearth of marinas in Montenegro so we have spent our time at town docks with minimal facilities, however they are building a marina at Porto Montenegro which should be first class when it is finished.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Roman Villa mosaicsRoman Villa mosaics
Roman Villa mosaics

Risan, Bay of Kotor
Kotor BayKotor Bay
Kotor Bay

Climbing the old town walls to the Fort of St John
Kotor Old TownKotor Old Town
Kotor Old Town

Grimi moored at the town dock


6th July 2010

Fabulous Pictures
Thanks for sharing the pictures and stories of your sailing adventures. It looks to be a beautiful part of the world. Enjoy!

Tot: 0.326s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 73; dbt: 0.1036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb