Lake Baikal


Advertisement
Europe
November 28th 2009
Published: November 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Had three days in Lake Baikal just outside of Irkutsk, Baikal is the biggest freshwater lake in the world with an average depth of 744.4 m (2,442 ft) and contains a total of roughly 20 percent of the world's surface fresh water. Was extremely cold, hovered around -15, so the thermals came out en masse! We had a new Honcho called Kosta who new every line of Ace Ventura so joined JC and myself in driving Johnny Ringo mad for three days.
Was great fun as there was limited things to do there as it is not urban and I am a little ctied out atm. Spent a lot of time relaxing or hiking but also took the opportunity to go Dog Sledding which was amazing. Had Seven Huskies hauling me over 10km of snow covered National Park, a very bumpy ride, fell off once at the start and that was it, was pretty tiring as you needed to keep your wits about you and ride the corners as well as brake, but all up some of the best fun Ive ever had.
Also had a traditional russian Sauna later that night, Matt and Una (who we met on the train) joined us and the four of us boys and Kosta went in to the Sauna, then rolled in teh snow and returned, we did that three times till Kosta pulled out the Pine Branches and gave us a good whipping. I know it all sounds very camp but was awesome.
The whole experience at Baikal was a highlight of teh trip and just what we needed after 5 days on the train!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.22s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb