Edinburgh


Advertisement
Europe
September 15th 2008
Published: September 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So let me first start off by saying I love Edinburgh. The city is beautiful, cradled in a hilly area of Scotland overlooking the sea. There is an AWESOME castle, the first real one I have ever seen, that is built into the side of one of these hills. The people here were so friendly (or moreso than the Londoner) and the city is alive with character. Our hostel was a little bit out of the way, but located right by the Firth of Forth (a body of water) and so we were able to get to the coast. After some small issues with buses into the main city, the nightlife in Edinburgh is both hopping and haunted. Apparently it is one of the most haunted cities anywhere (due to victims of the plague and one guy who was the basis for Jekyll/Hyde). We met a really nice couple at a pub, and the wife was an 'empath' (clairvoyant) who told us about all of the spirits she has encountered...you don't get that in Illinois!

We toured a Scotch factory, which was touristy/hokey, but learned a bit about the drink. (To be called Scotch Whisky it must be aged for at least 3 years, and we saw a 55 y/o bottle for £7,550). We were not really fans necessarily, but found the history of the drink kind of cool.

Edinburgh Castle, which overlooks the whole city, protecting it out of a series of rock mountains is fantastic. It holds the Scottish Crown Jewels and the One O'Clock Gun which shoots at 1pm everyday to set the time for Edinburgh residents...we watched it firsthand and it was unbelievably loud. I think I'll start that trend at Augustana by making one of the cannons at Lincoln Park usable.

Then a group of us went to Arthur's Seat, (a really steep hill/mountain overlooking the city) and climbed the way to that. It started to rain and Adam, Sean and I split from the girls and continued trekking to a higher point. Just climbing with the guys and seeing that view was the highlight of my trip, and one of the top three experiences I've had here. It was so nice to get into some real nature and be 'in' the clouds. There really is something mystical about these islands when you get into the country.

After pubs, bagpipers, 'fringe' kids (grunge) and the Scottish identity, we all miss the city already! I would recommend it to anyone.

This week is my birthday and midterms, so I'll keep you all posted on what is going on after that.

Also, this site is not very good with pictures, so I'm trying to figure out an alternative. Stay tuned.

Stay dry and safe with all of the rain! Miss everybody,

Ian


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



28th September 2008

The Boy Shouldn't Be Allowed Off The Ground
I assume it was after a substantial sampling of the Scotch Whisky that you allowed Adam to climb that wall.

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 6; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb