Back down to London - Wicked!


Advertisement
Europe
June 15th 2008
Published: June 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We took the Caledonia Sleeper train down from Inverness. It left around 8:30pm thursday night, and arrived in London around 8am. There were plenty of stops on the way, but both Justin and I can sleep in most conditions, so we enjoyed it. The beds allowed us to stretch out - so it was better than being in a chair.

We first made our way to our hotel. Rubens at the Palace. We got a great deal, so we get the next 3 nights at a top hotel. The rooms are pretty nice. Justin enjoys the complimentary bathrobe. (good thing there's no room in his bag, or it might accidently fall in there - ha). We're right in the heart of all the sights. Hyde Park (and Kensington Park) are right up the road - it's kind of like Central Park in NY I guess. Buckingham Palace is a stone's throw away.

Oh - but first we had to master the underground (metro / subway). it was pretty much rush hour, and we had all our bags with us. Even tho we travel light (2 carry-ons only), it was still a tough thing. We waited a couple of tubes (they pass every 3 minutes), but it didn't lessen up at all. Only a handful got off each time, leaving just a couple feet of room. The doors literaly close on peoples noses as they are packed right against each other. So we maneuvered close, trying to make sure we both got on. Just in case, I gave Justin some cash, and reminded him where our hotel was. I told him if we got separated, I'd wait at our stop (only 4 stops away, a few miles the other side of London). So, we positioned ourselves, got ready, and the train came. I got on, shoved by bags forward, grabbed a rail, and turned around to find Justin still on the platform, the doors were closing and there was no room. We shrugged, and I told him I'd see him at our stop. We only have one cell phone between us, Justin carries it but I don't know the number. ha.
so I got off at Victoria Station, and waited. Justin is pretty "head's-up" about not panicking (he's a zero-panic kind of guy, actually), so I wasn't worried. Sure enough, he showed up. I didn't really think much about it until I told Petrea the "funny" story. Moms have different viewpoints, I guess.

We couldn't get into the hotel until later, so we dropped off our bags and did the hop-on-hop-off city bus tour. We walked around Hyde Park, got off at St Pauls cathedral, and saw Big Ben, London Tower, parliament, etc. We found out that the tour guides can sure make or break a tour. The guy on the bus we stayed longest on (about 45 minutes) was great. very passionate about London. It made everything seem very interesting. As we passed Buckingham Palace, he pointed out the cars leaving the grounds with a Police escort - then suddenly jumped up shouting "it's the Queen! The Queen is in that car!" He was very animated, thrilled, really. I guess I supposed that what with Buckingham being right there and all, that sort of thing happened all the time. But nope. He said it was the first time in 5 years giving tours that he saw her leaving the Palace. Pretty cool. Turns out that tomorrow is her Royal Birthday, and instead of a changing of the guard, they do a changing of the troops - something on horseback. Plus a parade and procession. it's a pretty big deal, and half the town will be there. But, we have a tour to Stonehenge for tomorrow.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.282s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.087s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb