Half way done


Advertisement
Europe
July 14th 2007
Published: July 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So it's been a while since i've last posted. It's been busy here, sort of.... We're passed the half way mark right now which is crazy but we still have 4 weeks left! So much is going on. We've only opened up 2 penguins since i've last posted. And nothign was in either of them. I didn't get to work on any of those because it wasn't my turn...but next week looks like it will be a busy one again becasue there are some waiting to be opened. So i'm really looking forward for that. Since we haven't been doing any penguins i was put in a trench with Amber (a trench supervisor). She's really great and lots of fun to work with. I was with her for 2 days taking out the plow zone. She just opened the trench so it ws alot of lifting and hauling a ton of dirt. Kind of fun to get back to that kind of work after the slow and careful digging of penguins. But on wednesday I was moved to the olive grove because they wanted us to open up the "tumulus". Well we started working on it and we were all very excited....but it turned out to be a whole lot of nothing...(well for bones at least) It looks like it was a patio surface that had two or more levels that were rebuild over time. So that was cool to take out and find the next surface. In the flotation material we have found a concentration of lithics (stone tools). That's pretty rare for this site aparently so we're not sure what's happening yet but it's interesting. So I was in the olive grove for the rest of the week. This trench also has a rat living in it, We've named him stanley the shit disturber. He's dug three large and deep holes into the middle of our trench, and he often leaves presents for us each morning when we pull back the tarp. On friday he got a little freaked out I guess and ran out of his hole and around the trench before heading directly for me....AHHHHHH, but eventually after some screeching on my part he found his way out.

Two trenches over that same day a snake decided to visit the other girls...but it turned out to be a viper...a very dangerouns snake..so they finally killed that. so it was an interesting day for all of us.

we're all headed to the beach bar tongiht for a birthday party which will be lots of fun. they've ordered a spiked watermelon, it's delicious and i'm definitely looking forward to that. and then tomorrow morning we're having people over for french toast. weeee.


It was overall a slow week I guess, but lots of fun. We went on a day trip today to the euripos which is where the eubeaen gulph narrows, this creates a bay of fundy effect which causes this part of the sea to have a tide. 2 a day. this was important in antiquity because only 2 ships could pass by this section a day. There is another way around this section of land by boat but it is very dangerous and many ships crashed against the cliff walls aparently so they always chose this narrow passage. It was cool to see. We also went to a site called lefkandi which is very similar to our site because it's close to this narrow passage but on the other side. they've found some cool things there so maybe we'll find similar items. who knows.
we've found some lead items, a few fragements of figurines and some small beads. it's pretty exciting...aparently graves usually contain grave goods...
well i'm late for our birthday dinner...so i better run!
miss you all lots!

i'll post my address next time because if you feel like sending me a letter that would be super cool...people are getting mail all the time...hint hint!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.289s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb