Scottish Ancestral Visitations in Sterlingshire, Fife, Perth and Kinrosshire, Angus, and Aberdeenshire


Advertisement
Europe
August 26th 2022
Published: September 9th 2022
Edit Blog Post

My ancestral visitations of Scotland began with Lanarkshire, Dumfries and Galloway, and Ayrshire; recounted in the previous blog at Scottish Ancestral Visitations in Lanarkshire, Dumfries and Galloway, and Ayrshire. I suggest that you read that blog first. This blog covers my travels in Sterlingshire, Fife, Perth and Kinross-shire, Angus-shire, and Aberdeenshire. <span>25 Aug 2022 Thursday.... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




13th September 2022

Scottish Ancestors
Often when we are traveling a great deal of restoration is going on and it makes us happy but ruins the photos. We've often commented that we would like the scaffolding concession.... we'd make a fortune. I am glad you are out there putting the pieces together and walking on hallowed ground. Carry On.
17th September 2022
Dunottar Castle

I'd love to see that
That ruin on top of that island looks so cool. Awesome photo. /Ake
18th September 2022
Dunottar Castle

The castle isn't on an island, but a promontory.
One has to climb down a steep hill and then climb up a steep hill to gain entrance. That is why I was so surprised that a wedding party had done this!
19th September 2022

Impressive Family History
The amount of history you recount here and the family connections involved are stunning! The number of sights you were able to see was impressive too. I visited Sterling Castle many, many years ago but only saw its exterior. Was also briefly in Perth and Pitlochry -- seems like I remember Pitlochry was known as being a wool center??
20th September 2022

Ancestors
Finding ancestors over the last three years of research was like finding buried treasure. I think Sterling was my favorite castle; for one thing it was open! I hope you can visit it again. My first visit to Pitlochry was in 1980, and at that time it was very much a wool center. Now there isn't much to recommend it. Thanks for reading my blogs!
24th September 2022

Scotland
Wow, great photos Bob, what a beautiful part of Scotland! And what a bloody past too - so many skirmishes and battles there. I love that you became a "Horse Trials judge" for the day, well done you! Great that you got to see some Highland Games! And also that you were at Dunottar Castle - I remember your comment on my blog when I also visited the place last year. I also didn't walk the steep slope down and up again, but enjoyed the view from I think the same bench you were also sitting on!
24th September 2022

Horse Trial Judge
Was I telling a lie when repeating what he told me to say? I still wonder. Perhaps a very white fib.
25th September 2022

Horse Trials Judge
Maybe a white fib, but I think I may have done similar in your position. You needed better access due to your reduced mobility from the hotel incident, and some of these jobsworths' rules and bureaucracy are just ridiculous.

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb