July 9th - Rome Italy


Advertisement
Vatican City's flag
Europe » Vatican City
July 9th 2010
Published: July 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

July 9th Rome Italy Day 2 - Well we had a great day visiting the Forum, the Colleseum and we spent the morning in the Vatican. It is presently 39 c here in Rome and there is a Transit strike, so traffic is gridlocked everywhere. However, the good news is (as my father used to say) "it's 39, but it's a dry heat!!!"
We experienced our second disappointment of our trip today - the first, which I don't think we told you, is that when we arrived in London, it turned the Queen wasn't there for us to see - turns out she was in Canada, of all places! Then we tried to make an appointment to do lunch with Pope, and he was unavailable. Now I suppose when we get to Monaco the Royal Family won't be able to see either! Neither the Queen nor the Pope leave the key to their private residence under the front door mat by the way.
Rome is all we imagined and more. We are very much in awe of all the history and the efforts the Italians have made to preserve it and make it extremely accessible to the people. The Vatican was particularly moving to both Sherry and I. We both suffered through Catholic Schools as kids and although neither of us would currently be considered an "active Catholic". finally seeing with our own eyes the things the Nuns had talked about so many years ago was very moving - I don't think either of us anticipated that. The crowds at the Vatican make the crowds at a Nascar Race or an NHL game look small! Hard to believe really. We enjoyed a lunch of real Italian Pizza under the shadow of the Colleseum. Humbling experience, and damn good Za!
Tonight we are off for an Italian supper complete with musical entertainment. Tomorrow, it's off to Florence to hook up with some guy named David!
Cao from Roma,
Hal & Sherry

Advertisement



Tot: 0.36s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0951s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb