Wet in Windsor


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom
July 6th 2012
Published: July 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Piccolo Mondo route


Drinking partnersDrinking partnersDrinking partners

note the sunhat!
What was that we spotted in the sky yesterday?! Yes, the sun did shine and we were happy, cruising along without a care in the world. No need for socks today.

Started the day with a few domestics - emptying the loo (Captain's job) and taking on water (Captain's job), then we were off. Passed through Boulters Lock in Maidenhead, then Bray, where we stopped at the marina for a glass of wine and beer (H spotted 2 kingfishers - maybe seeing double) and then on past the Dorney Olympic Rowing Lake to moor up just below the castle in Windsor. It was so hot we had to find the sunscreen and hats, and sat on the bank in our new deckchairs for the first time... this is what it's all about! More drinking partners arrived and more drinking took place. The storage dilemma is fast disappearing.

Supper in an Italian in Eton High Street then home to bed... what a good day. Even found ourselves thinking that it might be too hot inside the boat if this weather were to continue.

No worries... Friday dawned wet and dreary. Decided to go shopping - well, what else to do? H was obviously still feeling a bit insecure about his footwear so bought more socks (just in case) and I bought another fleece (just in case).

Rain has just about stopped now and we're waiting for more friends to arrive. They're apparently concerned about our sanity and are coming to alleviate the dreary conditions!

Plan to stay here one more night and then move on tomorrow. At least the rain has prevented the man coming to collect his mooring fee.

Educational fact of the day: did you know that Maidenhead Railway Bridge has the widest brick arches in the world - built in 1838 by Brunnel, who else?

Advertisement



7th July 2012

Rain
Should you have built an Ark?

Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1101s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb