Catching Up!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom
August 14th 2008
Published: August 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sorry it has been a while since we have been in touch but as usual the schedule has been hectic and a lot has been happening. So this is going to be a highlights special!

After our trip to Stockholm we had the pleasure of Croft and Abi visiting and telling us all about the news from home. It was great to have them stay, we had a chilled out day in Camden - nothing like an apple Shish, we had some time just wandering through London central, and Mark was able to take a little time off and go to Brighton with them. On their last weekend they went to Paris while we had planned to visit Kate’s friend Caroline in Brussels.

Unfortunately Mark was held up at work on the Friday afternoon so despite our best efforts we missed our flight and spent a very uncomfortable night in Stansted Airport much to Kate’s disgust. So after forking out a small fortune to purchase new flights for first thing Saturday morning we were finally on our way. We had a wonderful time with Caroline, her partner Joris and his 2 children. They showed us around Brussels, including the pub with 2005 beers! That’s a world record. We also went to the Comic museum which had a special section for Tin Tin, Mark’s special request for the weekend. They also showed us around their local villages and we saw some beautiful churches and gardens. We were hen treated to a wonderful home cooked meal by Caroline’s mother Lea. Kate hadn’t seen Lea and her husband Jos since she was billeted with them in 196 - it was a wonderful reunion. It was a shame the weekend went so quickly.

Back in London is was back to flat hunting and luckily for us, that very next Monday we found our new place. A lovely split level one bedroom flat in Highbury. And thank goodness we finally found it as it was getting very tight with the timings for when we had to be out of our Fulham flat. So the next fortnight was spent finalising bonds and references and buying the few items we needed to fit out our new home, as well as fitting in an afternoon to catch up with Mark’s family. Then it was Easter and we did the very thing we were advised by everyone not to do. We went camping in the Lake District. We went with our friends Trina and Joel and a couple of their friends. We drove up very late on the Thursday night after work, arriving at 3:45am and since it was wet and windy we slept the next 3 hours in the car before going for a drive in the morning to find a camp ground. It was bitterly cold. We set up camp and due to some fiddly work with pegs and ropes it wasn’t possible to wear gloves so we all got freeze burn. And oh the cold coming up through the ground was incredible. It took forever to cook some sausages on the camping stove as the flame kept on getting blown out. But despite all of the cold, rain and wind, we managed even to survive the 15cm of snow that fell one night to have a really lovely time. We climbed one of the mountains and walked between the townships, always managing to be out in the best the weather had to offer. The sunsets were amazing and the mountains around were just beautiful. We can't wait to get back to the Lake District in the nicer weather to do a few more mountain walks.

Once back in London we couldn't wait to get back out on the next weekend for more of that fresh country air. We went to Leeds Castle in Essex. It is branded the Loveliest Castle in the World and we would have to agree. The castle itself is quite small but we did the self-guided audio tour, particularly liking the library with an amazing collection of old classics and reference books. But what makes it so lovely is the grounds the castle is on. Unfortunately we were rained out so we didn't get to finish exploring, but there is a hedge maze, averies, ponds and more gardens. But the special things we did se were the black swans, yes imported form Australia, and the largest dog collar collection in the world. Strange yes, and when we say the largest in the world, don't get carried away, it was a small room. But interesting to know that the spikes on dog collars initially were designed to protect the dog from wild animals. But again, we look forward to getting back there again to explore the gardens, hopefully taking a picnic.

Well it was only a few days later and we were off again, but this time home! It was Mark's brother Andrews wedding. Kate flew home to Adelaide, arriving a day earlier than she told everyone so she could surprise her mum on her birthday! And what a surprise it was, everyone was shocked, and probably more surprised that no-one had any idea! But over the next few days she spent time catching up with her mum and dad and close friends. She even had a day down at Middleton with her family where they watched Matthew (her brother) go sky diving. While Kate went to Adelaide Mark went to Melbourne for Andrew's bucks show. No stories to tell there. What happens on bucks night stays on bucks night! But we all ended up in Adelaide together and it was great to se all our friends and family at home again. Whilst it had been less than a year since we had been home, it somehow seemed that some things had changed. The new tram for starters, friends new houses, but most was the same. And maybe that's why Adelaide really feels like home - it will always have the same feel - home. It was nice to be home in time for our friends engagement - congratulations Eddie and K-J, but of course the highlight and the reason we were back was for the Wedding. Many of the overseas family came over so it was strange to see them in Adelaide after just seeing them in London, but it was wonderful to have so many of the family all in the same place. There hasn't been a time like it in the Roma family before, or at least that we remember.

The Wedding was beautiful, Catherine a stunning bride and Adrew scrubbed up alright too! Mark made a touching best man speech, making up for lost time and not being able to make an embarrassing speech at his 21st, so this was it. But everyone loved it and the day was a beautiful success. We were very lucky with the weather, a lovely sunny day for a garden wedding and a reception in the botanical gardens. But with all of the family get-togethers and the wedding, time passed by so quickly, and before we knew it we were back on our way back to London, our home away from home.

We made it back just in time for Mark to live his dream and play a vital role in the victorious team winning the European champions league! No, only joking, but he did play in a football final, he did play a good game, and they did win - very convincingly. And they got a huge cup to show for it. The team celebrations were fun, but the major prize was that the team was pushed up into the next division. So it will be a challenging new season.

For Mark's Birthday Kate surprised him with a trip to Alton Towers, England's largest theme park. There were rollercoaster rides, haunted houses, beautiful gardens with lakes, sideshows, and of course, lots of oter people out enjoying the warm day. Whilst Mark blamed the curry from the night before for making his stomach weak, we still managed to brace the G forces of one of the fastest rides, a rollercoster which went from 0-100kms per hour in 3 seconds!

The next bank holiday in May we decided to head out to the country and we went to the Cotswalds. often described as the chocolate box of England. The small villages, the narrow streets, the small streams flowing through the town centers, the thatched roofs, so tranquil. We went for some long walks through the fields, the sights of the fresh green, fields of yellow flowers, sheep in the meadows and blue skies was just special. It had recently rained and so the walks proved to be a messy affair, but that's what made it even more special. Burton on te Water was our favorite town we went to. It had a quaint main street with a stream, and lots of families with their children and dogs were out. There was a local charity holding a fundraiser rubber duck race in the stream - you pay a pound and get a numbered duck. All of the ducks are lined up on a plank of wood which is lowered into the water so that the ducks start swimming along! It was great to watch, especially wen the occasional dog was trying to jump in and save the ducks! It was so pretty we can't wait to get back there again.

Again, taking advantage of another bank holiday weekend in May, we went to the Isle of Wight. We used it as a wedding anniversary get away! We caught the train to Portsmouth where we then caught a hovercraft over to the island. We stayed in a lovely B&B and had the best fish and chips ever! It was a little windy on the coast, but we wen for some walks along the beach, looking a the huts all lined up, watching the keen fishermen, and watching the round lamps light up the esplanade. We hired bikes fr a day and went riding through the country side. The island is designed for biking so there were lots of paths, some smoother than others. After a solid morning of riding we stopped for a relaxing lunch break in one of the towns and went through a minature world of the island. It was a true replication of the island, including the cricket pitch and a football game, female streaker included! But again, not that we don't like London, but our weekends away are well deserved retreats.

So our next treat was in London, we went to Wembly Stadium with Mark's cousin Tony and saw England play the USA. as you know, we had done the stadium tour before, but seeing a live game was something else. It's true that there is not a bad seat in the house. Beckham was presented with a Gold Boot for 100 caps for England - some think it's pretty exciting, but I think the interesting part was that he was playing for England against his current team mates from LA. The atmosphere was electric, and the game was OK, but the real fun came from the continuous mexican waves! Well still a fun night out! The only other thing worth mentioning is that despite 90000people being a the match, there was no queuing, no bustling to get out, it is designed for everyone to be able to peacefully flow out, and it works. Even the tube only had a 10min wait, and the police kept the crowd under wraps very well. Gold star to London.

Well one last special highlight to finish this first catch up on was another trip we made, this time back to Liverpool for a special event. Liverpool is the 2008 European City of Culture and so they have a series of concerts and performances throughout the year. Well we went in the ballot for the Sir Paul McCartney concert and managed to come out with tickets. The final line-up wasn't confirmed until very close to the time, but the Zutons were on first and they were really great. The whole crowd got behind them. They are a band who just get on and do their job and play great music. They were followed by the Keiser Chiefs who were almost the polar oposite, a very protentious and self-centred band who were a bit up themselves. Their big hits, Ruby Ruby etc were good, but the atmosphere was like they were trying too hard and they just couldn't get the backing of the crowd. But then the star if the show came on, Sir Paul himself. He truly is a star and he can still shake his booty! The music was great, everyone sang along and we danced the night away. The fireworks and the stage were electric and it really was such a buzz.

Well that gets us up to about June when we had our family arrive, and there's plenty to share from that.
So we hope you are all well. We love hearing from you and finding all about how you are traveling. So keep in touch! And we'll do our best to try and keep a little more up-to-date!

Love from London
Kate and Mark


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 29


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0268s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb