It’s not all work work work .........


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales
June 20th 2012
Published: June 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We have loads of time off and try to make the most of it exploring the local area. We are incredibly lucky, the site is based in the mountains, with a river estuary metres away, and the beach about four miles distance – all of our favourite things in one place! We often cycle along the Mawddach trail and over the railway bridge into Barmouth as the beach there is really nice – and there is a Co-op and small Iceland for supplies. If we go the other way along the trail we get to Dolgellau, a lovely little town, again with a Co-op so we won’t starve. We climbed several smaller hills before venturing up Cadar Idris, which actually isn’t that high but seems it on the way up, the views were great but unlike Ben Nevis there was no pub at the bottom. One of our colleagues suggested visiting the Roman Steps – which were very beautiful and remote – there was no sign of human activity at all – although we chose the hardest route to get there it was worth it. Our map showed a reservoir not too far away with a footpath round it so off we went, it was in fact the cooling lake for a redundant nuclear power station – I’m sure the greenish glow we have will fade soon.

There are many perks to the job, one of which was a free guided tour of Inys Hir where Spring Watch is currently being filmed - great lunch provided too! Also done a self nav course and a bush craft one - great fun. When Sarah and John went away we were invited to stay in the best bed and breakfast room, lovely, and we also had a night in a Yurt - very romantic.

Suzie and Emma and Andy have been up to see us and we have dragged them off for long walks – well we didn’t want them to miss out! The easter egg rolling was fun although I think Andy would have killed us if his egg and been damaged. We have had several barbecues and bonfires and look forward to lots more. Also wild swimming in the Blue Lake when it warms up.

Off to Crete for the wedding next, proper sunshine!


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb