Back into Wales


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales
August 25th 2011
Published: August 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Ramsey tidal raceRamsey tidal raceRamsey tidal race

The most dangerous stretch of water in the UK
A quick dash to Cardiff in time for lunch with Jim, Annette and Nigel – nice to see you all again – and then onto Pembrokeshire, visited the previous winter and thought worthy of a summer visit. The sun shone for most of our stay which meant we could make the most of the sites wonderful location, right on the bank of the estuary, and even swim in the flooded quarries (although the water was a bit ‘fresh’). The quarries had previously been used to farm oysters and we made use of the boats and rafts that had been left behind. We took a trip to the country’s smallest city, St Davids, with its huge cathedral – some of which was closed to the public as the BBC were filming. From there we went to St Justinians and took a boat trip round Ramsey island, through the Ramsey tidal race – we hadn’t realised until we were out there that this is the UK’s most dangerous stretch of water and we obviously saw it at its best (or worst) as the skipper found it impossible to get round the end of the island as it was too rough. I might be going off boat trips! The coastal path in this area gave great views across to the many islands, and we were watched by several seals as we walked along.

After several relaxing weeks we moved onto Chester to see Suzie and had great fun with the lambs that kept escaping into the site, Molly, in particular, was most persistent and loved being cuddled. While in the city we watched the races from the Walls and on one very hot day cycled along the banks of the river Dee for about 12 miles before returning to Chester very, very hot and in dire need of a shower (and a beer). Going east now, hope the sun continues to shine.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

This is just a result of the tide coming inThis is just a result of the tide coming in
This is just a result of the tide coming in

See previous photo that shows what a calm day it was
Setting up at ChesterSetting up at Chester
Setting up at Chester

Molly the lamb wasn't much help


Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb