he Monmouthshire Brecon Canal footpath/cycle path


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Powys » Brecon
July 1st 2008
Published: July 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

July 1, 2008
The Monmouthshire Brecon Canal footpath/cycle path

The Monmouth Brecon Canal footpath/cycle path is just a few hundred yards from the campground, so we are off on our bikes to Brecon. Brecon is a country town at the north edge of the central Beacons. Historically this canal was used to move coal, today hikers, bikers, fisherman and recreational barges use it for transportation and fun. It is only 4 miles or so to Brecon, but the trail has sheep/cattle gates to open and close and bridges to walk under or cycle under, and they are very low, so the going is slow. The sheep think the grass close to the canal is tastier!
This time of year, many high school/college "kids" are out for a week of backpacking. This is something more high school/college kids could do in the "States". The mapping skills and organizational skills are keenly developed. If not, one is lost and hungry, talk about motivation to learn!!
Brecon is a central location for the many outdoor people coming to the NP, and this town has five outdoor stores. Of course, Bob visited all of them.
The cathedral was another stop, it was once a church OF England but is now a Cathedral IN Wales? Still not sure what that means? It contains a memorial chapel dedicated to the soldiers that fought the Zulus (?) of South Africa.
After lunch, Bob visited the museum, while Maureen had a hair cut...the second since we left the States, in early April. At least the beautician spoke English.
The weather today is very warm. The first warm day in a while, it is almost hot. I love the cool, damp weather. Wait a minute... I think it is now raining!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Baptismal FontBaptismal Font
Baptismal Font

This is from the pre Norman times , Celtic


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb