The Day Finally Arrived!!!!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Wales » Caerphilly
May 19th 2022
Published: May 19th 2022
Edit Blog Post

After three years in the planning and rescheduling 4 times, the day has finally arrived. We are on our way to Ireland and Scotland. Covid has made this trip the most rescheduled trip ever, including our recent trip to New Mexico. Even though this trip was fully planed in May of 2020, over the last two years the dates have changed, things are not open because of Covid, then back open, timed entry then no timed entry. The last two months we spent a great deal of time firming up reservations, and rearranging days so that we could do everything we wanted to do.

So, here we are, sitting in the Polaris lounge after a relaxing train ride from Providence to Newark Liberty Airport. We could have flown out of Providence but then the planes are small and not very comfortable, so the train just ended up being much easier. Of course, the days leading up to any vacation are stressful, you have to work 5 times harder to go away, and I don’t have the most vacation friendly employment situation. You might think they would collapse if I go away. I mean really, I am good at what I do, but the place isn’t going to fall apart with me being gone for 15 days. And that is all I am going to say about that.

The most challenging thing this trip was finding a new cat sitter for Tarragon, he is getting older and more set in his ways. The person we used last time, who Tarragon, loved, just had a child so he was not available. We found a new service and she seems very capable; we will see how the King reacts to her. We always preferring traveling with him, but have yet to do so internationally, maybe soon. I stress a lot until I get that first picture of him from the cat sitter that shows while, he will clearly be mad at us, he is at least in good hands.

The train ride is nothing to blog about, we have taken it dozens’ s of time, it is a bit difference when you know you don’t have to get off in Manhattan, and instead are headed to the airport.

We got here early so we could enjoy the complimentary food and beverages at the Polaris lounge. We had a nice lunch, Lamb Kofta for me burger for Jerry (no pictures, as not in full vacation mode yet.

There was a bit of waitress drama, but not involving us. Just entitled New Yorkers who need everything handed to them on a silver platter. I could go on for pages about New York and New Yorkers, but I still do have to go there for work now and again, as the office is still there, just not me very often.

We are now at the bar relaxing before we board the plane. This is a very action-packed trip right off the bat. But more about that later when we are on train to Holyhead Wales, for now another glass of Rose.

***

After a full day and a half of travel, we are now in Holyhead Wales. It is Thursday May 19 around 3:45. The flight was pretty good, very comfortable, once I learned how to adjust the airflow. They are not quite up to pre-covid service yet, no menu card, and not coursed just all at once, but dinner was still better than most plane food. Jerry got a few hours of sleep, but I tried, just can’t do it, something about being asleep at 37,000 feet unnerves me. Right before we took off, we got our first picture of Tarragon, he is a bit upset and not letting the cat sitter pet him yet, but that will change.

We landed safely and taxied for what seemed like miles. Customs as certainly changed since out last visit to London, just went through self-serve Kiosk if you had a passport from the right country, surprisingly the US is on that list. Jerry got through just fine, but I of course was not so lucky and had to go through the regular line. Which did not take very long, but no stamp and didn’t even ask me one questions. I guess I just have an honest face. We certainly got our steps in for the day at Heathrow, just to get to customs took 20 minutes, then another 5 to luggage and another 10 to the train into London. I unfortunately was sweating like a pig by the time we got through customs and it only got worse by the time we go to Euston train station in London to catch our train to Holyhead.

Fortunately, I booked us in fist class so we would get a meal on the train to Wales, it also got us in the lounge and a chance to cool down. The train was clean and the food decent, Amtrak Acela first class actually has better food at times, and I don’t hardly ever say Amtrak is better than any European train experience. The seating was spacious and each car only held about 25 passengers or so, so you didn’t really feel crowded, plus the tables were not right up against you body. The downside was that the seats did not recline and were very uncomfortable.

We both dozed off now and then after we ate a small late breakfast. I had potato hash, which was pretty tasty and Jerry had a bacon sandwich, a bit salty and it was just that thick cut rasher style bacon on multi grain bread. It did its job. The train ride itself was relaxing a good AC so I really got to cool down. The scenery was very nice, pastures full of sheep, cows and horses. Part of the trip was along the Welsch shore line. The Welsch language looks very much like Spanish Basque and equally as impossible to pronounce. The translator app on my phone doesn’t’ even have an option to have it say the words out loud as it does for other languages.

The train station is right next to the ferry station (that’s tomorrow’s travel) and right across the street is the Bed and Breakfast we are staying out. We found it with a google maps search. It is called the Holyhead Port Bed & Breakfast and is part of the Edinburgh Castle Pub. You check in at the Pub bar, no credit card taken to run an authorization, a real key, and the barkeep is a hoot and very friendly. We were hoping to have some solid pub food for dinner but they no longer serve food (just lots and lots of beer) other than breakfast. The barkeep did make a nice dinner suggestion and we are going to take her recommendation and go to a place called Langdon’s. Tonight is “Carvery” night, more on that after dinner.

Not a lot of pictures to day as it was a very long travel day. A quick work aside (and I hope it is the first, last and only one). I have barely been gone 2 full days, and already two text messages regarding supposed emergencies. I have never in my life seen a tax emergency, no one dies because of tax issues, and given my line of work as a trust and estates expert, they are likely already dead in the first place. So enough said about that, it put a bit of stress early on in the vacation, but hopefully they can all leave me alone now.

Just back from dinner, which turned out to be pretty decent. Nice little place hidden amongst, yacht clubs, marina stores and fancy condos. There was a nice view and the sun was setting by the time we finished. Holyhead is clearly an early town the restaurant stopped serving at 8, fortunately I reservation was at 7:30. Thursday’s is their Carving Menu. Basically, two carved meets and then several sides, all done buffet style. Tonight’s selections were ham, very moist and turkey, a bit dry. But when you smothered in the excellent ham gravy it was very good. There were numerous sides, mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes, stuffing balls, Yorkshire pudding, sausage links in a great sauce and deep-fried garlic mushrooms. The entire meal plus two glasses of prosecco and a bottle of wine was 63 GBP or $78.78. It was actually better than my expectations of what our dinner would be like here.

After dinner we walked back to the B & B (took a cab there) a nice 1.4 mile walk along the harbor. Jerry took several sunset pictures on our walk back. In total we walked 5.3 miles today. I am pretty sure most of that was in Heathrow Airport.

We are now back in the room having a night cap and of course I am finishing the first blog entry. It has been a very long two days and I am sure we will sleep hard tonight, even though the bed is not very comfortable. No dish of the day, but the ham gravy was certainly noteworthy. Tomorrow we are off to Ireland.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb