Gonna go to Scotland and get me some haggis


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
October 13th 2011
Published: October 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Firstly, our challenge results: England

Local cuisine: Parmo - a parma, but you can only get them in the North East of England.

Local drink: My uncles friends made Nick drink a Newcastle Brown Ale - also known as "Dog." He'll never trust an Englishman again.

Soundtrack: "If terrible is a song... then that’s it" - Nick

On our last day in England we spent the day in Scarborough checking out the castle and playing on the amusements. We also ate some fish and chips and ice-cream (for those of you playing at home I had cookies and cream). On Saturday morning we dropped Harry back at the car house in Newcastle and hopped to the train station to get, of all things, a train to Edinburgh.

Upon our arrival we continued with the "rain" theme and meandered around town without a care in the world - we weren’t going to let Scotland get us down. At the hostel they kindly provided propaganda pertaining to the local entertainment and we happily moseyed across town to the Beehive Comedy Club in Grassmarket for an evening of entertainment. Highlights were: bearded man doing an impression of a wookie from Star Wars/Trek/Sex and the City (sorry, I made a mistake there with that last one... I meant wookie.. not foot). Full of joviality we went for a drink on the Royal Mile and then headed back towards the hostel. Our hostel is on a street called Cowgate and there are quite a few clubs down that way. The first we walked past was a free entry burlesque bar. I ask you.... What would YOU do? We went upstairs and purchased our beverages and secured a spot on one of the podiums to watch the extraordinarily drunk Scots and tourists dance away to Maroon 5's song about Mick Jagger. It was also apparently "take your parents to the bar night" and witnessed several awkward moments where a young man was attempted to be brought into an embrace with his loving parents. Who were grinding to the music. Before we went to go and wash our eyes with acid we saw an almost brawl between a 16 year old and one of the 60 year old dancers. Once that broke up and the minors left we decided to call it a successful night.

The following morning we remembered Birkfaces suggestion to look out for free tours around major cities and joined the 11am trip. The walk took three hours and was brilliant. The only downside I felt was that monuments and buildings weren’t pointed out/ named which made the tour centered more around the history of the city. After this we made use again of Mark's "Heritage pass" and went to Edinburgh Castle. It was a nice day and the views were lovely. We were also really fortunate that the day was a special event and there were a few shows on... although we arrived quite late in the day so we only got to see some people in old traditional clothes firing guns (thankfully not at one another.. but at the general public in the street). That night we caught up with my cousin Phillip and had a drink or two. We moved onto a bar to have some whisky; where Nick was forced to also drink my share. Eugh!

On our last day we decided to go to climb Arthurs Seat (fancy that, a mountain at the end of the Royal Mile). Arthurs Seat was a huge climb, but absolutely worth the effort - the views from the top were spectacular. After that we decided to do a day-trip to Glasgow. We went there having no idea what we wanted to see or do, so went to the first place we saw - an "art" gallery. After that we elected to skip the art and just walk around. Ultimately we found that there wasn’t a lot to do, but I don’t think we were honestly looking too much. We eventually went to a pub and tried haggis, well Nick did. There was a vegetarian version which I had with oats and pulses (Nick said that because the oat had a pulse it was still murder). On our last night we cosied up and lay our weary heads to rest thinking about Edguy on Friday (well, I did). WOO!!

Scotland stats:

Local cuisine: Haggis. Both the sheep and oat kind.

Local drink: Whisky *shudder*

Soundtrack: Moves like Jagger - Maroon 5

Peace out,

NJ&NJ

Scotty’s Corner:

As long as you don't think about it Haggis is delicious, the scotch here ****'s all over anything in Australia, and it's extremely difficult to look at pictures of William Wallace without seeing Mel emotionally screaming for freedom.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



13th October 2011
Glasgow Haggis Nick

Haggis Joke
A haggis goes into a pub and orders up a bottle of the best whisky. “You’re looking awfy smug wae yerself,” says the barman. “Aye,” says the haggis, “Ah’ve jist been sewing ma wild oats.”
13th October 2011

\"The great thing about Glasgow is that if there\'s a nuclear attack it\'ll look exactly the same afterwards.\"
21st October 2011

Oooh it sounds like you may have stayed at the same hostel we did, it was really close to a burlesque place. Hehe. Was it at the bottom of a hill by the castle? Wonder if the shower was still dyed purple from me dyeing (sp?) my hair pink and purple :) My Nick would be jealous of the whiskey sampling!
1st November 2011

Ha!
Small world. Yes, sounds like the same place. The shower was mank, however not purple. They must have seen the ads for easy off bam!

Tot: 0.309s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb