Traveling North


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
May 19th 2010
Published: May 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

So, we start out the day by picking up our rental car at the Edinburgh Airport. They gave us a little compact silver Mercedes. Now the trick is to get used to driving on the wrong side of the car and then on the wrong side of the road.

Our first stop was Stirling. There we checked out Stirling Castle Argyll's Lodging and the Wallace Monument.

Stirling Castle was AMAZING and deep with history. Looking out from the outer parapets you can see for miles. While this is the same castle that Robert the Bruce and William Wallace stayed at, it does not look anywhere the same as Robert The Bruce had the original destroyed after he took it back from the English so they couldn't use it against him again. We also got to take a tour through Argyll's Lodging. This was a house built back in the 1500's but redecorated from the 1600's. Here lived Archibald Campbell, the 9th Earl of Argyll.

From here we went to the Wallace Monument and climbed up all 246 steps. It gives another amazing view of the valley with a total history of William Wallace as well as the ORIGINAL William Wallace Sword which was 6 feet long.

After touring all through Stirling, we headed up the A90 towards Aberdeen. We stopped in Stonehaven for a look at Dunnottar Castle. One of the most beautiful castles we saw. It is located on a cliff right on the sea. It has been untouched for hundreds of years.

From there we saw Castle. Then we continued up the north east cost. We stopped for dinner in Huntley and had great dinner at this little Indian restaurant.

The night finished with us getting to our next place of rest, The Balintraid House in Invergordon.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb