More from the Eyres


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
December 14th 2008
Published: December 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Another month has passed so thought it was time for another Eyre update.

We have had another busy month with visits to both Glasgow and Edinburgh as well as taking in some sights close to home here in Oban.

We began the month with a visit to The Glasgow Science Centre, it was a full on day with loads of interactive exhibits and hands on workshops. We visited Charles Rennie Mackintoshs “House for an Art Lover” which was beautiful and the kids enjoyed themselves in the “Art Space” playpark- a playground designed by artists.

The following weekend we promised the kids they could stay at home ( as that is what they like best) however the sun was out and that means that you must also get out so we took the small 5 minute passenger ferry from Oban to the Isle of Kerrera . We did a 6km walk to Gylen castle. Other than one other tourist ( and the 35 residents) we had the whole island to ourselves. The castle has recently been restored and the views over the bay and surrounding islands was beautiful.

The next weekend was the Santa procession and the turning on of the Oban Xmas lights.
Santa and reindeer were lead by the local Pipe band down the main street to station square where Santa proceeded to give out sweets to all of the children.

The beginning of December brought a cold snap to Scotland, with loads of frost and ice in Oban and plenty of snow in the areas nearby. Unfortunately it is too warm for snow to stay in Oban but we do get the occasional flurry. We headed to Edinburgh this weekend, stopping to play in the snow on the way. Edinburgh was beautiful as always. We headed straight for the castle , it was quite busy as entry was free due to the celebrating of St Andrews Day. We spent a couple of hours wandering the castle grounds. I was keen to visit the Honours of Scotland ( crown jewels ) and the Stone of Destiny, and took the boys with me. This proved to be a bad decision as it was a very slow crawl around the displays, wall to wall people , quite claustrophobic, and by the time we reached the destination the boys were so keen to make their escape I did not get time to look at the long awaited “honours”.
East Princes Street Gardens was beautiful with Traditional German Xmas markets, ice skating rink and large ferris wheel. I managed to get a glass of mulled wine whilst we munched on some German Bratwurst.

Not sure if it was wandering around Edinburgh in freezing temperatures but the next week the house was full of sickness. Creating some drama in the house Jake suffered a severe Asthma attack which required hospitalisation, we spent 24 hrs in the local Hospital but with no improvement, he was taken by helicopter to the Childrens Hospital in Glasgow. Unfortunately he was too ill to enjoy the helicopter flight, but I can tell you it was a beautiful sight flying over all the lochs and snowcapped mountains.(though a flight I could have done without). Whilst I was with Jake, Brad was at home unwell himself trying to take care of Harrison and Emily, you realise how much you miss the support of family and friends at a time like this. Anyway 10 days on everyone is healthy again .

After a quiet day yesteday, we could not stand another day stuck indoors so decided to take a long drive to the much photographed Eilean Donan castle. ( For any Highlander fans it is the castle in the background when he was banished from his village). It was unfortunately closed for the Winter as are many other tourist destinations but we were able to walk around the perimeter and take some lovely photographs. We had a meal at the local pub followed by a game of pool before we made the 2 and ½ hour drive back to Oban. We had planned at stopping off at a few other points of interests on the way home but forgot to take into account that it is dark by 4pm.



Well this may be my last Blog from Scotland as we depart here on Jan 2 heading to France for a month. Wishing all a very merry Xmas and will update again soon from the French Alps.




Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Music RoomMusic Room
Music Room

House for an Art Lover
Isle of KerreraIsle of Kerrera
Isle of Kerrera

View back to Oban
Ganavan BeachGanavan Beach
Ganavan Beach

Snow capped mtns on Isle of Lismore
Emily in EdinburghEmily in Edinburgh
Emily in Edinburgh

Trying to stay warm in - 2.5ºC temps


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0614s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb