A Ka....


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland
August 17th 2003
Published: August 17th 2003
Edit Blog Post

… is 1/3 of a Ford Focus. That is what Sam drove the two of us 830 miles in 4 days in.
Destination: Blair Atholl Scotland.
What is in Blair Atholl? A large castle, and some of Sam’s cousins who live in a rather posh house
How we got to Blair Atholl: we rented the Ka and drove all the way to Crainlarich in one day. Because of two navigational errors it took 9hours. (it is not my fault that the entrances to the Motorways do not specify north or south, just the names of some random villages. We got a nice view of Glasgow as we drove around looking for street names and numbers) Needless to say, all we saw was out the window of the car.

We learned that street signs are optinal, and that two way roads can be one car wide and still be considered A or main roads. And that roads can always be narrower.

The second day we drove to Killin and went hiking, and got some great pies and scones from the local bakery for lunch. The view from the hike was great. While I was resting on rock I hear this loud noise, and out of nowhere an RAF plane, flying rather low, zoomed right over my head and took a sharp turn into the valley. It sounded like a huge boom echoing through the hills, and you could feel the ground shake. That was not the only time we saw RAF planes.
From Killin we went to Pitlochry and went on a Single Malt Whiskey distillery tour. The distillery was really cool and I enjoyed learning about the process.
Blair Atholl is not far from Pitlochry, then it was off to a very formal dinner with Sam’s relatives who he doesn’t know very well.
We went to the Castle in Blair Atholl, another distillery (the smallest legal one in Scotland), and a glass blowing workshop, before leaving our stuff and car in Stirling and heading to the Fringe Festival in Edinburgh. Lots of free performances, the best being a 3 piece Indian band. Today we went to Stirling castle before driving back south.
So many places, so much distance so little time.
Go home on Monday… ahhh. Scary and exciting all at the same time


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb