Kelso


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Roxburghshire » Jedburgh
December 3rd 2009
Published: December 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Thursday 3.12.2009 Day 50
Kelso
We woke up to it snowing out our window. It was sooo nice. We did not let the snow stop us from going out and exploring. We went to the town of Rutherford and Kelso and saw the Floors castle. The castle was originally built for the 1st Duke of Roxburghe, in 1721. The site for the building of Floors Castle is a natural terrace overlooking the River Tweed and facing the Cheviot Hills, the heartland of the family's Estate. It lies on the opposite river bank to Roxburgh Castle, once the strongest fortress along the former march with England.
In 1721, William Adam was commissioned by the 1st Duke to make additions to the eastern end of an existing tower-house to create a plain, but symmetrical, Georgian country house.

The 6th Duke invited the leading architect in Edinburgh, William Playfair, to remodel the castle between 1837 and 1847. He drew his inspiration for Floors from the highly ornamented picturesque style of Heriot's Hospital in Edinburgh.

The result is a romantic fairytale castle with its roofscape of turrets, pinnacles and cupolas.




Additional photos below
Photos: 68, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 11; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb