North Uist


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Outer Hebrides
May 17th 2012
Published: May 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We were pleasantly surprised this morning when we woke to a fine, sunny morning, albeit very windy. The forecast was for heavy rain and thus our change of plan to ride to Leverburgh yesterday (in the pouring rain). However, it was worth it since we were in a very warm, welcoming guest house (Caberfeid House) and our clothes were dried out ready for today. Ferry at 11.40 for Berneray then cycle onto North Uist accompanied with a 20mph Easterly wind. Fun, or what. Bill has calculated the angle of lean to be 4 3/4 degrees to the left. As we cycled to the ferry in Leverburgh I did not turn a pedal for 12 ml to the quay and went at a steady 13mph. The wind was bitterly cold and I watched the ferry weave around all the rocks and small islands from inside the lounge Brrrr! A quick ride onto Berneray for a light lunch with a couple from Oxfordshire on a tandem and then over the causeway to North Uist to make it Island 25. Luckily for most of the way to Lochmaddy the wind was not too much of a problem, although Bill may say otherwise. The island is fairly flat and very few trees, except for some conifers planted here and there for house shelter. We did see a very large deer resting on the edge of a small wood and managed a photo before it leapt majestically away. The area is a complete web of tiny inlets from the sea which must make farming a nightmare but is very pretty. Lockmaddy is a typical Hebridean small town the size of a mainland village with a pub, or two, a store which sells everything from a Peat spade to a packet of crisps and a very helpful Tourist Info Office. We are staying in The Old Courthouse, so Bill is on his best behaviour lest he be kept behind. The roads on the islands are generally quite good and better than our local pot-holed death traps. Most are single track with passing places, even the (A) roads and what is slightly annoying is the way vehicles refuse to pass you until the passing place is reached, even when there is plenty of room. I would rather they passed you steadily and then they are not hovering over your shoulder for ages. Many locals run very old cars, usually prefix (R) plates and are very courteous and wave to you. I suppose life is quite laid back here. When we were in Gt Bernera earlier in the week I went to the post office/ shop and asked the owner the time. He looked at his watch and said,”Tuesday afternoon”. Someone has to do it.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.64s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1725s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb