Harris South


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Outer Hebrides
May 17th 2012
Published: May 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Walking back to our B&B along from the pier was like walking in Antarctica in a howling gale at sub zero temperature? The waitress at the Anchor Restaurant, Leverburgh, said that she would have run us back but her car was not here. I asked if she could go and get it for us and run us back but she said it was in Inverness. Some offer that was. A bit different to this morning when Mrs McCauley set us off with an excellent breakfast into a tail wind and a clear sky, allowing us to be back in Tarbert before 2pm for a late lunch. We even managed to find a transport cafe near the Stornoway junction for a brew on the way down. On our way South from Bernera we also stopped at the memorial to Bonny Prince Charlie and his flight from Culloden in 1748. After lunch we went to the Tourist Information Centre in Tarbert, who made a B&B booking for us in Leverburgh since we decided that it would be wise to keep on travelling South whilst the wind was in our favour. We still had Scalpay to visit, which would take 1 1/2hrs of very hilly terrain and it had started to rain but this was much better than doing it tomorrow when the forecast is horrific again with heavy rain and wind. We eventually rode into Leverburgh at 6.45pm wet and dishevelled into a really warm and welcoming Caberfeidh B&B. The girl in the TI Office said that it was an easy road to Leverburgh with only two or three Braes to climb, by the time we had limbed the 10'th Brae we felt like we had been brae'd - with a stick. We also found that West Harris has some wonderful, long, sandy beaches and I was amazed at the golden colour of the sand - until I took off my orange tinted glasses. Also there were patches of grassland cut out on the beach heads which just looked like a map. I will have to put a photo on when I get home. Tomorrow we are taking the ferry to North Uist and then ending in Lochmaddy before heading South once more.Number of islands now stands at 23 and 800 miles ridden.Someone has to do it.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb