Beltane Fire Festival


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
May 4th 2006
Published: May 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Queen of the BeltaneThe Queen of the BeltaneThe Queen of the Beltane

This is hte Queen Leading the Parade
The Beltane, A festival celebrating the beginning of the sumemr season, and the upcomming harvest. The fire Festival is an old Pegan ceremony that has been preformed in the United Kingdon for thousands of years. Allthough now it has become more modern as time goes by, the down-to-earth vibe still flows throught the spring breeze.
The preformance of the beltane goes as follows:
So there is the Queen of the Beltane, who represents the sun, the giver of life, and there is the King who represents the growth of the Earth. Every Beltane (April 30th) the king , who is dressed as a large shrub, its torn apart and killed, and a new king is born and starts to grow.

The Queen and the Old King lead a parade starting at the old Roman pillars and aroound Carlton Hill visiting the spirits from all the elements. As the parade is doing so, the scandolus "Red Men" follow the Queen and her deciples, the "White Women" and try to seduce them. The Red men symbolize lust and pro-creation.
As the Parade visits the Elements, each sect puts on a special preformance for the Queen baced on the year prior. So the Water spirits flow around and play their light sounding whistles and dance for the Queen. The People of Air Dance is Silence like the wind. The Fire spirits spin fire, andh te people of earth tribally dance.

After the Queen has visited the Elements, then her and her White Women confront the Red Men, who can be women as well as men, and the Red Men try their best to Impress the Ladies. The Red Men through down their fire staffs and build large human pyrimids to show the women how great and powerful they are. The Red Men are followed by the beasties, who are tribal drummers. The White Women push away the Red Men without effort, and carry on. This is when the Kings shrubs are torn off of his body, and his frail human for is shown. The Red men steel the shubs from the old king and burn it in a huge bombfire and sexually dance around it.

The Red Men then give it their all and build Huge pyrimids and preform accrobatics to impress the ladies again. The White Women and the Queen then Head into the Thrown area and the Red Men
The Start of the ParadeThe Start of the ParadeThe Start of the Parade

The Parade started on hte top of an old monument of large roman-like pillars
follow. The White Women, then decide that it is now time to enjoy the harvest season, and they choose a Red Man as a partner one by one. Then there is a huge dance and all off hte people watching come in a join the fun and exchange kisses and gropes.

And the Summer Season Begins.....

I had a great time hat hte festival. I ran around with Jordan and Tian and searched out all the areas where the prformers dancing. I had a few friends in the show, a few red emn and a few drummers and a now a guy who was one of the earth nymphs. But yeah, the energy on that hill that night was amazing. We danced the night away on the hill, and then we went to the after party.

The after party couldn't have been any better for me. The music in this part of the world doesn't really float my boat usally, but this party was great. So Tian and I get into this stange bar, and right away we were hit with the sounds of drumms and we started groovin away. The whole place was filled with different
BeastiesBeastiesBeasties

The Beastie Drummers in hte coner play the beats that hte fire spinners dance to.
colored people, big smiles and dancing feet. Then came the Bluegrass Band. And if anyone knows me, I love bluegrass, and there isn't a country/bluegrass scene here, so I was amazed to hear it!!! So We danced the night away making out with all the red men and white women, and we had a great start to the new season!



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Pyrimid of PowerPyrimid of Power
Pyrimid of Power

These are hte red men trying to impress the Queen and the White women. The Lady on the top....wow....she was great


7th May 2006

Wow
I can only say that that looks AWESOME...there is nothing like that compares here for Beltaine...
11th May 2006

putain
agh, it seems like all the action began as soon as I left! :P Hope you enjoy the summer months to come before arriving in OZ for a REAL SUMMER! :) p.s sorry i dont usually get time to comment on your blog because i dont usually get time to do anything anymore... i work too much... makin money tho! :P miss you over here man.

Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0596s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb