Rain and Wind in Edinburgh!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
April 7th 2006
Published: April 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We made it to Edinburgh yesterday after a trecherous ride on the plane. The winds were so strong we were afraid we wouldn't make it. We checked into our cute B&B and headed into town to do a bit of sightseeing. Edinburgh was much different than I thought. Much smaller, which is a good thing. All the buildings are traditional English style homes and all grey. The only thing that distinguishes them are the shop signs.

This morning we started off with a traditional Scottish breakfast, which was great except that it was missing the black pudding that I am used to in Ireland. Then we took the bus into the city to visit the Edinburgh Castle. The Castle dominates the city and is the country's main tourist attraction and has played a central role in Scottish history as both a royal residence and as a stronghold against British invasions. Mary Queen of Scotts had her son, King James VI/I of England and Scotland here. One of the funniest things at the castle is the dog cemetery for the soldiers pets. See photo below 😊

Next, we headed down the Royal Mile, Edinburgh's oldest street which runs through the middle of town. After some lunch we headed to the Museum of Scotland where we saw a replica of Mary Queen of Scott's tomb. Just a quick fact - Mary Queen of Scotts became queen of Scotland when she was a week old. She was sent to France for her saftey and married the French prince. He dies young and she returned to Scotland to reign. She married again, but quickly fell out with her new husband and started an affair with another man. Her husband mysteriously died and Mary was accused of killing him. She sought refuge with her cousin, Elizabeth the 1st of England, but instead of providing refuge Elizabeth imprisioned her and then executed her 19 years later. So much for faimily loyalty.

During a break in the rain we headed down to Holyrood Castle but decided not to enter when we realized it was going to cost 20 bucks. Instead we stopped in for afternoon tea, as you do in Scotland. Inside we met a very nice group of older ladies who lived across the street. My Mom admired the cake they were eating and they insited on giving it to her as it was the last one left. My Dad and I made fun of her for taking cake from a poor little old lady, but in fairness the lady was pretty persistent. She even paid for the cake!

To end the day we hopped on the bus and headed to the harbour where we found a shopping mall and the first GAP I have seen in 8 months. Of course, I was delighted!! Now we are off for some snacks before heading to sleep. Tomorrow I am off for a three day tour of the Scottish Highlands and my parents head to Irleand. Let the adventure continue!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 63; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb