Foo Fighters Concert. Yeah Roy.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
August 21st 2007
Published: December 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

From Milan we flew into Glasgow. Two young Asian kids cracked me up on the flight. They were fighting most of the way and one wrote EX on the window and then turned to his Dad and said “E cross means Eric is bad”. For some reason Nic and I thought this was hilarious and couldn’t stop laughing. I think it’s a good name for a band.

Another good name for a band is the Foo Fighters and that’s what we were in Scotland for. Todd, my brother, had organized tickets a few months prior, so we had been looking forward to it for a while. Now it was just a day away.

Nic’s friend Sarah lives in Glasgow and put us up for the night. She has recently moved up there and has a funky flat. She was going to come to the Foo’s concert too but that didn’t eventuate. It was brilliant to sleep in the following morning and then scrounge through Sarah’s fridge cooking all her hash browns. (Well not all of them, Nicola made me leave a few). Cheers Sarah!

In the afternoon we trained to Edinburgh, which takes about an hour from Glasgow. Edinburgh was crazy busy as the festival was on. If we hadn’t sorted out accommodation before arriving we would have no doubt been sleeping on a park bench. Thankfully Nic arranged for us to get put up by another of her friends, also named Sarah, who I thought was her cousin but turned out not to be. Long story.

We met up with Todd, who we barely recognized seeing as he had shaved his hair and had beefed up from his ‘Jesus juice’ protein shakes. It was pissing with rain so after a quick look around the city centre we decided to go to the next pub we passed. It was a Frankenstein pub! Was rather bizarre as after a few minutes we were shit scared when thunder and lightning went off in the building and a mechanical Frankenstein came to life. We ordered some food, most of it was good except for the wedges we ordered, which was actually only two bits of potato. I suppose technically it was ‘wedges’ because there were two, but what a crock.

We decided on sampling another pub. I thought that all my communication issues had ended when I left Italy but apparently not. I asked for 3 shots of Tequila and the Scottish barman somehow mistook that for Baileys on Ice. Bizarre. We managed to work out a point and nod system and were merry in no time. Which was almost fatal as when it was time to leave we all walked out on what we thought was a public walkway. Wrong, it was a road. Once that problem was averted we were faced with another: the Astle bladder. Todd and I had to find about 3 or 4 public toilets on the way to the concert stadium. Some of them were disguised as trees or alleyways.

We eventually made it to the stadium with plenty of time to spare. The opening act was Nine Inch Nails who were really good. We caught up with Bevan who I used to play footy with back in NZ and his girlfriend Brenda, and also Kruger who Todd plays cricket with for Canterbury back in NZ. I decided to buy a Foo Fighters T-Shirt, Todd thought he would too but only liked the girls styles. He even tried one on, the baby blue really accentuated his features, ha ha what a girl.

We pushed into the middle of the pack for the Foo’s when they started. Todd and I had seen them before in Auckland with Jaimee. They were just as good this time and we had a blast. We did have video evidence of that but Todd in a drunken state deleted them. On our walk back we grabbed some food to help the sobering up process.

When Nic and I arrived back to our accommodation it was midnight and she turned 26. Hopefully she had a good week and enjoyed her birthday trip.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0182s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb