2 days on along the Royal Mile


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Midlothian » Edinburgh
September 6th 2004
Published: September 6th 2004
Edit Blog Post

Early September may not be the best time to visit Edinburgh but it isn’t the worst either. Especially, if the mist can get two women from climbing upto Arthur’s Seat (which is the highest point in the Scottish Capital).

So off we went -Sudeep and me and friends of ours from US. Took us four hours from London’s Kings X to Edinburgh Waverly and the journey was beautiful - along the coast just as we neared Edinburgh. Lovely old houses at the edge of cliffs, golf courses, cathedrals and general hustle bustle of everyday life. Of course, with my weekly jaunts to York - half the journey was quite predictable. The Yanks of course, could not get over the countryside and the lovely, ‘small’ houses!

Once at the Scottish Capital, we took a short cab ride (£4) to the Newington Guest House on Newington Road (£60 for a double en-suite). I would personally not recommend this place because the service was shoddy - our rooms were not ready and the breakfast next morning was well - bad! But there are a host of B&B’s along Newington Road so the weekend traveller should not have too much of a problem. One only needs a bed at night anyways!

Anyways, the itinerary for the day was largely getting around Edinburgh Castle (£19 for two). We took a guided tour and then spent some time walking around the place ourselves. The castle is beautiful - straight out of Lord of the Rings. We were fortunate to witness a Scottish wedding happening on the castle grounds - the sounds of the bagpipes added the right touch.
I really recommend doing the castle with a guide (the touch of humour in the guide’s stories is welcome) and then take a walk by yourself. Don’t forget a walk down the gallows. The section on the crown jewels is quite dazzling as well. The castle is well managed and even with the teeming crowds, you can manage to get about without any pushing or shoving.

There are a gazillion souvenir stores around the area and we found some of them to get some really nice Scottish tartan check scarves.

Cabs and buses are easily accessible but walking along the Royal Mile is the real pleasure. The streets are pebbled and shops and restaurants have been set up in the old buildings (of yore?!).
Abbey gardensAbbey gardensAbbey gardens

At Hollyrood


We walked for a bit to get to the Whisky Museum. Bought a whole stack of small scotch bottles - some famous ones, some not so famous. But I have made it clear to my husband that the bottles are for pure decorative purposes! The girls at the Whisky Museum were quite helpful in telling us where to get drunk. Therefore, the rest of the evening was spent - drinking. At an Irish Pub called Finnigan’s Wake and then dinner (which by the way most places in Edinburgh don’t offer after 8PM) at a typical English pub - where I had chicken tikka masala with rice!

Day two was a trip down Holyrood castle that belongs to the Tudors (I think the Queen was around which is why part of the castle was cordoned off). Anyways, the day was overcast so I was spared the agony of walking up Arthur’s Seat. Holyrood was a better option and took us around 2 hours. We did not need a guide as good audio guides are available with the entry ticket. My personal favourite in the castle were the chambers of Mary Queen of Scots (who I think got a raw deal in Edinburgh castle).

The Abbey ruins and the gardens were a sight for sore eyes. Makes for a nice leisurely walk and a lot of photo shoots.

Getting out of the castle we walked across the new Scottish Parliament - which in my opinion is a waste of good money. I think the architect lost his way completely. You can avoid crossing the street to get there.

We then had soup (for the cold frozen bones) and pastries at a small, lovely tea room just by the Whisky Museum. Bought an old map of Britain at the time of the Anglo Saxons. Cost us a bomb - but it is quaint and I know where it will go up in the house.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb