Socializing


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Lanarkshire » Glasgow
September 24th 2006
Published: November 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I have five room or flat mates. We each have our own bedroom, but share a bathroom and kitchen/living room. Three of the girls are Asian exchange students, Fang Yu (fun-g yee), Su Feng, and Tracey. Two of them are from Singapore and the third one is from Malaysia, but studies in Singapore. One of the other girls, Manny is an exchange student from Salt Lake City, Utah. Her sister Kate was here visiting for the week. The other girl that lives in our flat is Ciara (Key-ra) who is from Glasgow and is quite young. Once in I had to walk down to the other end of the hall to tell all the rude, loud, and obnoxious guys she had over in the living area at 11:30 at night to quiet down and have some consideration for other people who were trying to sleep. She is 18 years old and apparently likes to be up late to party. Outside of her, all the other girls have been just great. I got an opportunity to bond with some of the other girls I share a flat (apartment/dorm space) with. Fang Yu, Sue, Manny & her sister and I went out to get something to eat, then sat around visiting and taking pictures. We had a good time.

Last night I got to attend a Ceilidh (pronounced kay-lee). It's a type of Scottish dance, similar to our country-western or square dancing back home. It was a blast! They had a live band consisting of a drummer, guitar, base guitar, and fiddle; not much singing. It was mostly instrumental, very similar to some of our country twang. I understand some of our culture, to include music and language, like the southern drawl was influenced by the Scottish settlers in the Appalachian region. It makes a lot of sense, because there are a lot of similarities. Some of the guys also wore the traditional tartan or kilt.

Advertisement



7th November 2006

Wow! Charmone, it sounds like you're having the adventure of a lifetime! I thought moving to coastal South Carolina was taking a huge leap of faith...enjoy yourself. Sharon
12th November 2006

Socializing
I plan to; thanks Sharon! It's good to hear from you. Good luck in South Carolina!

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb